Pricing Cupcakes

Decorating By pattigunter Updated 22 May 2008 , 12:20am by FromScratch

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 16

Do you have a standard price for cupcakes? I quoted a customer $10/dozen - she wanted something for a princess themed birthday. I told her that the cupcakes would have a plastic tiera or slipper and be either pink or purple which was her color scheme.

Her response was that she could get 3 dozen cupcakes for $10! I refuse to do them for less than that. I told her I couldnt beat that price. Let her go to Walmart. It really angers me that people dont appreciate the time/work that goes into cake decorating.

15 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 16

Stick to your guns! $10 for a dozen is really cheap...especially since everything like eggs is going up in price! Let them eat Wal-Mart cake!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 16

I agree!!! STICK TO YOUR GUNS!!!!

I just had someone do this to me this past week too.

WHERE DO THESE PEOPLE COME FROM??????? icon_eek.gif

Not any more, what do these people expect when they call someone who is specific in their field,.... they want to still pay the walmart prices, NOT IN MY KITCHEN THEY DON'T!!!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 16

My cupcakes start at $3 each

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:53am
post #5 of 16

My plain jane cupcakes start at 1.75.

The elaborate ones go as high as 3.50 depending on the time and design.

RMF73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RMF73 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 16

Mine start at $1.50 and go up from there. Yours are cheap at $10 for a dozen. Dont budge on your price.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 16

I do basic swirl cucakes with simple decorations for $15/doz. More if more elaborate decorations. $10/doz. is a steal! Let her go to Walmart!! icon_smile.gif

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 16

18.00 a dozen for regular
3.00 each for these
LL

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 16

You are way cheap, my cupcakes start at 2.15 each and 20.00/dozen, I usually go to Sam's to buy product and they don't have cupcakes that cheap, I think I've seen them for 16.88 for 24 who is selling her 3doz. for 10.00 do not lower your prices if anything if she comes back tell her your prices just changed for her 15.00/dozen icon_wink.gif

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 16

Why in the world does someone go to a specialty cake decorator/bakery and throw out the phrase, "I can get it for $10 at Walmart." Isn't there a reason you're at a specialty shop???? Duh! Our cake is better, and it costs more. If you're fine with flash-frozen two-month-old cake, go to Walmart.

My boss was at his son's school play last week and all the parents had to bring a dessert. We sent cookies from the bakery (and they were the first things gone icon_biggrin.gif ). He said that everything got eaten, but the only thing remaining on the table when it was over was a 12 pack of Walmart cupcakes. Apparently everyone knows to steer clear of them!

By the way, our cupcakes are $1.25 each/$15 doz. for swirly buttercream, or they can go up to $3 for a more time consuming design.

Don't drop your price! As everyone else said, stick to your guns!!!!

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 16

Let's see....now I dont' really believe that you can buy 3 dozen cupcakes at Walmart for $10, but if she is right then that comes up to less than $0.28 per cupcake. Now, you know that some of that is profit. And we all know that grocery store cupcakes are usually piled up with (greasy) icing, so it's not like they're skimping on ingredients. So what are they skimping on? Quality! I don't even want to know what kind of ingredients go into these cupcakes and icing that makes them so cheap!

Don't even think of lowering your prices just because she's cheap! I think just about everyone else here would agree that you need to raise your prices instead, but that's up to you. Stand firm...quality is worth it!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 16

My cuppies startat $3 each too and that's for a chocolate or vanilla cupcake, not filled, with a swirl of BC ontop and rainbow sprinkles. A cupcake is equal to a serving of cake (a wedding serving) and that is what I base my prices off of so they are priced the same. If you want to choose any flavor and have them filled they start at $4 each.. fondant.. $5 each. They are time consuming, hard to store until delivery, and take more supplies.. each gets frosted separately, they each have a liner, they each get their own decoration... more work. People will pay your prices if you stick to your guns. I just got a huge cupcake order.. 72 cupcakes each with a fondant flower and a 6" topper cake with gumpaste flowers.. I charged $440 for it.. no appologies.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:34pm
post #13 of 16

3 dozen... icon_eek.gif for ten dollars icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif ...no way! thumbsdown.gif
that's way to low. mine start at a $1.00/ea.

she's getting a bargain. icon_surprised.gif

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:53am
post #14 of 16

Some people are really crazy icon_lol.gif I live in a small town and start my cupcakes at $1.00 each and go up from there. You were right to refuse to do them for less! thumbs_up.gif

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:24pm
post #15 of 16

I knew I'd feel better after discussing it with you guys! This customer is the same woman who called me last summer and asked for a birthday cake - then said "just something cheap will be fine."

I should start screening my calls and not answering hers!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:20am
post #16 of 16

Sounds like a good plan to me.. icon_lol.gif

"Oooh.. so sorry.. but I am totally booked that weekend.. yup.. and the weekend after that.. and the weekend after that.. and.. " icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%