Square Cakes And Fondant

Decorating By patswifey Updated 18 May 2008 , 1:38pm by alanahodgson

patswifey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patswifey Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #1 of 7

how do I fold fondant around the corners of a square cake? mine are ripping... HELP!!! I tried to fold it like wrapping paper b/c the 3 tiered cake is supposed to look like stacked presents but what is the correct way?

6 replies
Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:51am
post #2 of 7

Check you tube. There is a video about how to do it. Also do a search on here. THere is a thread that had a video loaded that was really good about covering square cakes in fondant.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:54am
post #3 of 7

Here's a really helpful video on it

" rel="nofollow">

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #4 of 7

I know that when doing fondant on square cakes, you are to start at the corners when smoothing. Your fondant is probably tearing because it's rolled out too thin or it's alittle dry. I heard you can add very little crisco or vegetable shortening to help "rehydrate" it. But you lay your fondant on the cake, smooth the top out and get all the air bubbles out then start with the corners before doing the sides. I always do it that way and never have a problem. Good luck.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #5 of 7

Here's a youtube link for ya.

patswifey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patswifey Posted 18 May 2008 , 5:03am
post #6 of 7

ok , so in trying to "fix" my problem with my cracked edges I have fudged them up ! No surprise here but does anyone have any suggestions on how to cover up mistakes? I have never worked with fondant before and am finding myself in unchartered waters! I did try to fix them to the best of my limited ability using greased fingers and confectioners sugar, but to be honest they just look like crap. Is it easier to just pull off the fondant and re-roll it and put it on again and hope for the best or should I try to match buttercream frosting to my color and try and smooth the corners out that way? I am doing a 3 tier cake and so far #2 and #3 have come out great thanks to previous suggestions...Thank You!!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 7

I would pull it off and re-roll it. Covering it with buttercream probably won't work. I hear royal icing is a little bit better fix, but what I usually do for minor flaws is cover up any mistakes with a strategically placed decoration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%