Crumb Coat

Decorating By chassidyg Updated 18 May 2008 , 12:14am by bigmama1961

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 10

When I do a crumb coat on a cake, do I let it completely dry before I do the decor layer? I have never done a crumb coat before, so not sure exactly the steps. Thanks everyone!

9 replies
shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 17 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 10

oh,i like to know the answer too! icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 10

I use a crusting BCI, so I let the crumb coat slightly crust before smoothing, and then add the top layer of icing.

Even with non-crusting icing, it should "set up" a little before adding another layer, if it hasn't set, it will be likely to pull up from the cake when you are working with the new layer.

Remember that your crumb coat should be fairly thin and smoothed out before adding to it. HTH

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 10

Hi there!
I mostly use IMBC or SMBC to ice all my cakes, so I just fill the cake/s and crumb coat with a thin layer of the buttercream, and let it chill for at least an hour in the refrigerator. That way it's hard enough for the final coat of buttercream to go on.

HTH

chassidyg Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 10

What is IMBC or SMBC? I mainly for now use the wilton bc recipe, since i'm fairly new to cake decorating. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it, I have a baby shower cake due tommorrow, and it has to be perfect!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

What is IMBC or SMBC? I mainly for now use the wilton bc recipe, since i'm fairly new to cake decorating. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it, I have a baby shower cake due tommorrow, and it has to be perfect!

IMBC Italain Merengue Buttercream. SMBC Swiss MBC. Ital. You whip the egg whites, and add boiled sugar. Swiss you melt the sugar with the egg whites then whip. My Ital. is a lil more silky than the Swiss. I ice lightly then refridgerate. Then I also use an icing tip. Spread smooth with a plastic 4" putty knife icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 10

IMBC = Italian Meringue Buttercream
SMBC = Swiss Meringue Buttercream

You can find them in the recipe section

chassidyg Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you for the answers! I get a little confused sometimes, but I'm catching on!

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 10

I let mine sit for 30 minutes to an hour (longer has never hurt). If it's pretty crusty after 30 minutes, I'd say that's enough time.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:14am
post #10 of 10

Just put thin coat of icing,where you can still see the cake, let dry then ice,I always do this with chocolate..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%