3D House W Spanish Tile- Need Suggestions

Decorating By albumangel Updated 24 May 2008 , 3:49pm by albumangel

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a cake to look like this house for a friend. Only needs to feed 25 people, but will probably make it bigger so I don't go insane making tiny details. Going to carve it from rectangle cakes, use fondant, gumpaste, royal icing, etc for decorating. I'm thinking of sculpting the roof from RCT and covering that with fondant or gumpaste spanish tiles to get the '''overhang" to look right and be stable.

1. Anyone ever do a spanish tile roof? Any tips on making a roof look real?

2. What size cakes/how many would you use? Any tips on construction?

3. How would you do the windows? Not sure if I want to go so far as to make them look "glassy" but if you know a simple technique, I'd love to hear!

I'd love to hear any other ideas or lessons learned when it comes to doing a 3-D house! Thanks!
LL

5 replies
albumangel Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 6

I'm excited- I bought an airbrush today to help with this project!

And I've decided to stack 5 layers of 9x13 cakes to start and carve from there. I'm using a styrofoam "fascade" for the front of the house with the porch. Still purchasing and researching- any suggestions are appreciated!

albumangel Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:56am
post #3 of 6

Here's some help for others- I gave it my best shot!

I used Rice Krispie Treats for the roof, which worked really well. I formed it on a cake board to keep it a separate piece and didn't put it on the house until everything else was done. The spanish tile came out great! The rest of the cake I wasn't so happy with, but it's what I could do with the time I had.

For the tile roof, I covered the RKT with buttercream, then rolled out small fondant logs and layed them across each section of the roof. Then I cut 1/2 inch strips of fondant and layed them over the logs, overlapping. When a whole section was complete, I ran my pizza cutter in-between each "bump"' to create some separation. Then I put more fondant logs along the seams between the sections and laid individual rectangles of fondant over that to look like tiles.

I used a styrofoam piece for the front. The one in the picture posted here broke and I had to make another that was more sturdy but only had 3 arches. I wanted to add so much more detail! And I need some training on wrapping a cake like this in fondant, for sure- my seams were very sloppy and the sides were sagging.

Here are the pics- hope it helps someone in the future.
LL
LL
LL

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 24 May 2008 , 7:14am
post #4 of 6

Wow I am so sorry you didn't get any help on this project but you did great!! It looks so cool! I love the roof!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 6

wow, i think you did GREAT!

albumangel Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the comments!
I only get to make a cake once every-other month or so, now that I've gone back to a FT job that involves travel. So each time I do a cake I feel very "rusty." But I'm trying to keep it up. icon_smile.gif

Wish I had more time to spend on CC, too. I miss perusing the forums!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%