Help Wtih Luster Dust!!!

Decorating By JennerRed01 Updated 18 May 2008 , 2:16am by Cake4ever

JennerRed01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennerRed01 Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 5

How in the heck do you paint with luster dust. I have to make a stethoscope for a graduation cake tomorrow and need some of it to be silver. I think I remember seeing someone mix the dust with vodka. Is that correct??? What kind of ratio is it?? And do you mix it with the color luster dust that you want the "paint" to be?????

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 5

you can mix it with vodka or lemon extract or even clear vanilla (that's what I use most often) anything with a really high alcohol content so it will evaporate (dry) quickly. Yes, get ahold of silver luster dust if you're wanting a silver stethoscope.....it also helps to color the fondant a light grey.......here is a cake I did where I wanted a subtle silver color, I made the fondant a very pale grey and then dry brushed the luster dust......I wanted more of a sparkly silver, not a chrome finish. You just want to mix enough of the liquid so that it's about the consistency of nail polish and you will probably have to do a couple coats...be patient or you'll get streaks......brush on a coat, let it dry, then do another .......every coat you do will give you better coverage. HTH
LL

JennerRed01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennerRed01 Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:38am
post #3 of 5

Thanks a bunch! I'm going to try it out tonight!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 5

Great tip to color the fondant a light grey first. I wish I'd thought of that on my last cake!

Just be sure you are very carful how much clear vanilla extract or vodka you use... you don't want to dilute it too much. I use a very small amount of both vanilla extract and the silver luster dust and mix with my brush, then paint on. Just a little at a time, then if i make a mistake I've not used up all my ingredients. Forgive me if this is common sense... it wasn't for me first time, so thought I'd mention! lol

~Wendy

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:16am
post #5 of 5

I have found that clear vanilla extract leaves gumpaste very sticky and shiny. I would suggest lemon extract or the vodka as others have suggested because it dries much better and doesn't leave a shine. Just my 2 cents. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%