Short A Few Cake Servings?

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 18 May 2008 , 12:38am by FromScratch

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 12

I have a cake order in which the customer only needed 10-12 servings but my minimum is 20.
So she paid for 20 servings but the cake only serves 18 ( I eyeballed it and came up with 18- 2" square servings).
So since she only needs 12 servings do I leave it as is or since she paid for 20 do I include some cupcakes?

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 12

I would leave it! Having a minimum of 20 serv. doesn't mean to me (from a customer's standpoint if I read that , this is what I would assume) that I will get at least 20 servings, it means, even if I want just a little 3" round cake I'm going to have to pay for at least 20 servings. I dunno, maybe it's just me!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 12

I just ran into this problem myself for tomorrow. I'm making a square shower cake to feed 30, so I quote for 30 servings. Then later I realize to get at least 30 I will end up with 40 servings.

In my opinion I should have charged for 40 servings, b/c that's what they are getting. Lesson learned for me.... don't quote until I've thought about it for a while!

*Edited for stupidity! Sorry!*

CakeMommyTX Posted 16 May 2008 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 12

Ok, thats what I was thinking, the minimum is what you pay not what you get.
Plus it is 18 servings so she should have extra anyways.
Thanks!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 May 2008 , 5:29am
post #5 of 12

I guess I see it very differently. If I call you and you tell me that I MUST pay for at least 20 (standardized 2x2) servings, even if I only need 6 servings, then I want the 20, 2x2 servings that I paid for--no more, but certainly NO LESS.

I see this as a direct result of setting a minimum number of servings for an order--if no less than 20 is the rule for the customer, then you're obligated to provide no less than 20.

If you don't want to give her 2 cupcakes to meet your end of the deal, I'd refund her the $ equivalent for those 2 servings--'cause if she counts or cares, given that she probably had to pay way more for "extra" cake because of your minimum, she could wind up pretty unhappy.

Just my .02
Rae

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 12

hummm. that's a tough one.
if you have the batter, maybe through in the couple simple cupcakes???
don't really have an answer for you, but I wonder if it would be more clear if you had a minimum PRICE and not a minimum serving??

doesn't Duff quote a min price of $500 on his site icon_lol.gif ?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWhitlock

hummm. that's a tough one.
if you have the batter, maybe through in the couple simple cupcakes???
don't really have an answer for you, but I wonder if it would be more clear if you had a minimum PRICE and not a minimum serving??

doesn't Duff quote a min price of $500 on his site icon_lol.gif ?

I agree, there is less confusion. You told her to pay for 20 servings, not 18. If that is your minimum IMO it is up to you to figure out a way to make that many servings. If you told her minimum $XX it would be so much easier, and the servings wouldn't matter...
ETA: icon_smile.gif
(that read's as being harsh, I wasn't trying to be thumbs_up.gif )

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 12

I agree with the ppl that said if you told her your minimum order was 20 servings then I would want to make sure she got 20 servings.

However if you had told her your minimum price was $_____ (20 servings times your price per serving) then she just knows that your minimum order is that dollar amount and she will have at least her 10-15 servings.

My minimum size cake is a 6" round cake which has 12 servings. My base price is $2.50 so my minimum order price for cakes is $30. If someone wants less that 12 servings then I tell them that my minimum price is $30 and I give them somewhere between the servings they asked for and the 12 servings. (typically I just make the 6" cake b/c it is my minimum recipes so there is no waste for me then and it is already paid for)

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 12

I always quote the price for what the cakes serves!! I don't really care that they only need 10 servings...They either choose a cake and have leftovers or no cake.Really though...I have never had a customer complain about too much cake!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 12

If you have a minimum order.. and they want something smaller.. and they know this.. they pay your minimum. I have a $80 min on single tiers and a $120 min on multi tiered cakes. That's 20 serving and 30 servings.. if you want a tiered cake that serves less that's YOUR choice.. but I have a minimum dollar amount. Now I always suggest a cake that is equal to the servings that would equal my minimum orders.. (8" single tier or a 6-8 multi-tiered) but if they decide that they don't want the extra cake.. they still pay for it. I have never run into this problem though.. icon_lol.gif People want what they pay for. icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 12

Ok so I went ahead and include 1/2 dz cupcakes with the cake. I've never really ran into this problem before, I almst always give more servings then requested, just so people can have a bigger piece or leftovers.
I just did'nt want to short them 2 servings, even if they did'nt need them.

So for those of you who have a minimum price rather than a minimum serving , how does that work?
Do you charge different minimums for bc, mmf and shaped cakes?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:38am
post #12 of 12

My single tier min is $80.. that will get you an 8" cake covered in BC.. the same for the tiered cake.. $120 will get you a 6" on an 8" covered in BC. Fondant is an add-on and will cost more. Basically it's 20 servings for a single tier and 30 for a multi tiered cake.. but I give the dollar amount.. It's just easier that way. Customers don't know what 20 servings is.. most anyway.. so I just tell them how much they have to spend to get a cake.. icon_wink.gif

I should add that I don't charge extra for certain fillings or cake flavors so it makes it easy for me. The only thing that will cost you extra is if you have fondant or ganache or add liquor to your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%