I Can't Make My Merengue Help!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 17 May 2008 , 3:04pm by SuHwa

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 4

I already wasted 30 eggs!!!!!
I let them get to room temperature, added a pinch of salt and they got foamy and as I was adding the sugar nothing it just turned to soup!!!!!!
I already tried twice.

3 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 4

Is all of your equipment totally grease free?

Here is a link to a page that seems helpful for troubleshooting meringue:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/perfectmeringue.htm

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:41am
post #3 of 4

It sounds like you probably had a little grease somewhere on your equipment, or perhaps got a touch of egg yolk in your whites.

Start by re-washing everything involved (bowls, beaters, rubber spatula) with a clean washcloth, lots of hot soapy water (Dawn is great for this - only time when I insist on a certain brand of cleaner), and dry carefully. So yes, this means I take my clean stuff out of the cupboard and WASH before I use them - just to make sure.

When you're separating your eggs, use 2 small bowls and two large bowls. Separate one egg into the 2 small bowls...check the whites for ANY yolk (if there's any, save for another use), and dump both the white and the yolk into the larger bowl, and repeat.

You don't have to throw out the whites that have "souped" on you...mix the egg yolks back in, and make a quiche or the like.

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 4

After you've rewashed your bowl and beaters dry them thoroughly. Then soak a paper towel in vinegar and wipe them all down. Wait for the vinegar to dissipate and your stuff should be grease free.

When you begin whipping the whites add a pinch of cream of tartar. After everything gets foamy add your sugar in a very small, steady stream. Then beat until the peaks are stiff and you can feel the sugar between your fingers any longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%