Wedding Cake Order

Decorating By starra328 Updated 21 May 2008 , 3:16am by gateauxdamour

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 6

How much would you charge for a 12 inch round carrot cake with butter cream simple design i'm thinking $65?

5 replies
yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 6

That's less than $1/serving if you're going by the Wilton serving chart. I would charge at least $100...and that's cheap!....but I live in a small town. I'm sure others would charge even more.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:19am
post #3 of 6

I go by the wilton wedding chart, which says this size cake serves 56. Rounding to 50, at my $3/serving rate (which is publicly posted on my website) = $150.

It's not a $150 cake ... it's cake enough to feed over 50 people.

gateauxdamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxdamour Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 6

I like the rule of 3 to be the absolute lowest price that I will ever give to a client:

Cost of supplies and consumables x3

1/3 goes to cost
1/3 goes to necessary and unexpected expenses
(i.e., insurance, electricity, etc. AND the always possible "Dang it! The chocolate seized! mistakes)
1/3 goes to profit

At this rate, you just manage to squeak through, IMO.
Anything beyond eggs and flour simple needs to be cost increased to cover you hours of effort!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 6

I'd go bankrupt if I used the "times 3" pricing system.

gateauxdamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxdamour Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #6 of 6

Tell me about it! That's why I say lowest; as in you're my cousin and this is a favor because I love you. I know that may sound mean, to even "make money" off of family, but I have to factor in my personal expenses for when I do a project for them (babysitter, travel costs, etc.). When you put in hours, often days, on a project for a loved one, I don't believe you should go in the whole!

I own a catering business and let's just say that those prices are vastly different! A lot more overhead for building, professional equipment, business fees/taxes. I can't afford me to do an event! icon_lol.gif But that's ok because there are just enough folks out there who can to enable us to pay for DS's school! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%