Using Indydebi's Cutting Guide

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 15 May 2008 , 2:30am by indydebi

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 3

Indydebi if you'll answer this I will be so grateful! or anyone else that cuts cakes the Debi way...

I have started cutting my cakes according to your directions on your website.
Can you please list how many servings you get from your round cakes with this method?
And what do you do with the little end slice you cut off - serve it? throw it out?

THANKS!

2 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:22am
post #2 of 3

Here you go, but this is NOT the chart Indy uses, she uses Wilton's I think...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:30am
post #3 of 3

foxy, thanks for posting that. I wish I could take credit for creating it, but I didn't. Some wonderful CC'er took the time to make it and I can't for the life of me remember who it was. They were kind enough to reference how I cut a cake, and I'm sorry I can't give proper credit for the work they did on this chart.

Roughly, I get about 10% more pieces than the wilton wedding chart indicates (so a 10" cake that says 38 pieces on the chart, I will get 40-42 pieces). This comes in handy when I use the hidden pillars, since they eat up so much of the cake, so it evens out for me! thumbs_up.gif

I think I get a few more pieces because I cut it in straight lines. The Dreaded Circle Method cuts pieces with an ever-so-slight flare on the pieces of cake (since it's circular). Over the span of 100 pieces of cake, this extra cake in the ''flare'' starts to add up.

The end or corner piece ..... I end up cutting it into two little pie-wedge shaped pieces. If you look at the drawing on my website page (bottom right corner), you can see the pie-shaped pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%