Cupcake Bouquet... What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By Danishwiz Updated 13 May 2008 , 6:28pm by just_desserts

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 3

I have made two cupcake bouquets so far. The first one was for my sister, it looked amazing at first but then after about an hour the icing on the bottom row fell off. I just thought it was because it was so hot in her appartment. The second was for my son's babtsitter. I put it together and put it in the refrigerator over night before I took it to her. Then when I went to pick him up the same thing happened and it wasn't overly warm in her house so I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

2 replies
SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 3

typical and all to familiar problem. This happened to me so many times last year when I 1st started these I gave up until I talked to CAMBO on the phone about (dear friend of mine)... anywhoo... I figured out from her description that I was putting my bottom cc's on a tilt to where the point downward.. the key is to not do this because your are working with gravity here. Also the amount of icing you use can be the problem.. I have started using different tips on my bouquets to avoid "overusing" my icing. I don't put butter in my BC for these either because it increases the slide chance. I hope this helps you some.... these things can be easy but they can also whoop you sometimes, especially in highly humid areas icon_smile.gif

just_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_desserts Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 3

I had that happen with my first CC Bouquet. I also re-positioned my picks (I use skewers) but the main problem was my icing was too soft. The other thing I did different was to not fill my CC too full so that there was a little "lip" of paper above the CC. I use Sharon's BC icing, no butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%