Fmm Multi Ribbon Cutter...

Decorating By Amy729 Updated 15 May 2008 , 2:20am by knel

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone used this? I have the wilton cutter/embosser tool and it drives me mad. I was hoping someone had tried the FMM cutter and could tell me if it is any better.

Thanks!
Amy icon_smile.gif

12 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 13

I have it, it works awesome.

But I will be honest with you, I actually didn't have that much trouble with the Wilton cutter ( never used it for embossing, just cutting straight lines). Once I had it tightened, I backed it off a small turn (same needs to be done with the FMM)

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 13

With the wilton one I have a problem with it cutting a clean edge. How is the edge with the FMM?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:46am
post #4 of 13

All I have so far is the Wilton one, and I don't get smooth edges with it either...but I've found a really easy way to smooth them. I have a yellow plastic tool that's really for clay http://www.rexart.com/product6034.html (it's the one in the middle, that works so well for smoothing). Anyhow, when I cut ribbons, I just slide the tool along the edges and I get a perfect edge icon_biggrin.gif

But I do wish I had a ribbon cutter that worked better, too. This is what I want to get http://www.fantes.com/images/4412pastry_cutters.jpg

vdrsolo Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy729

With the wilton one I have a problem with it cutting a clean edge. How is the edge with the FMM?

Very clean, no need to go back with a knife or anything.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

But I do wish I had a ribbon cutter that worked better, too. This is what I want to get http://www.fantes.com/images/4412pastry_cutters.jpg

I got that and hated it. The spacing between the wheels is not even, so it's awful for ribbon loops. Up to 1/4" difference, which is a pretty big deal when making bows. I contacted Ateco and believe it or not, they opened several boxes to measure the spacing and they were all uneven.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 13

The FMM cutter is great, works really well.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 13

Quick question...what is the name of the FMM cutter? and where do I find it? and, is the Wilton cutter the one that comes with several wheels? I think I have it, but don't know how to use it icon_redface.gif

Thank you to all!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 13

I like the Wilton..you do need not to put the screw too tight so it rolls easy and some pressure when you cut!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 13

I found a pastry cutter on ebay that cuts multiple strips at the same time (adjustable to size them) for $20. Love it!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 13

I LOVE the FMM ribbon cutter, use it ALL the time!

I know where you can get a good deal on one, too! E-mail me at:
[email protected]

Jen icon_smile.gif

vdrsolo Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:01am
post #12 of 13
knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:20am
post #13 of 13

I have the Wilton ribbon cutter, and I hated it at first... I figured out that if you hold the handle completely upright while rolling it, it cuts MUCH MUCH better and actually gives a clean cut. Also, it helps a little to chill the fondant for a few minutes prior to cutting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%