Newbie To Cakecentral And Cake Decorating In Need Of Ideas

Decorating By kietabear Updated 13 May 2008 , 11:36pm by kietabear

kietabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kietabear Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:46am
post #1 of 6

Greetings all,
I am very new to your wonderful site and new to cake decorating. I just completed class two of Wilton 1.

Since I am doing a lot of practicing I have been asked to bake two cakes. 1 for a promotion and 1 for a retirement.

I am AD Air Force so you can imagine these are AF type cakes. I need to be able to place the insignia on both cakes but want something that is edible. Can you please give me suggestions?

Also, the one for promotion, he wants it to be a chocolate cake with cherry filling? I am searching for a recipe or some ideas. Thank you.

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:52am
post #2 of 6

Probably the best bet for getting the AF insignia on the cakes is to find a bakery in your area that will print the edible image sheets for you. Then you could just pipe the borders, place the image on the cake, and then add the writing.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 6

If you go over to "recipes" you can type in chocolate cake, and find dozens of recipes.

For cherry filling -- Polaner makes a delicious cherry jam -- you can use that for the filling. Or any good-quality cherry preserve.

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 6

You could try a Frozen Buttercream Transfer:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

I did my first one while I was in Wilton Class One, if you can frost a cake, load a icing bag and pipe with your #2 tip or even a little hole cut out of disposable bag you can do this technique. THIS REALLY IS EASY. I freeze for 15 minutes after each step I do so that I don't smudge any colors. PM me with any questions.

Try something small and then try the insignia - if it doesn't work then do the edible print, you can get at local bakery or supermarket w/bakery.

Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

kietabear Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Probably the best bet for getting the AF insignia on the cakes is to find a bakery in your area that will print the edible image sheets for you. Then you could just pipe the borders, place the image on the cake, and then add the writing.

Thank you.

kietabear Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for your suggestions... ALL of them... LOL... I cannot figure out how to reply one by one...

I will call the bakeries and ask and I will practice the piping... I did do the rainbow cake...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%