Help! Tuxedo Strawberries How To Price

Business By cakesondemand Updated 14 May 2008 , 12:30pm by HerBoudoir

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 11

I have to give a quote for tuxedo strawberries anyone have an idea for pricing them, do you price per each or by the dozen. I don't know #'s yet.

10 replies
SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:31am
post #2 of 11

I'm in the mid-west (which is known for being less expensive), and I charge $2.

cakesondemand Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #3 of 11

Thanks I was looking on line and the prices I found were $45 per doz but I didn't think that was unreasonable the bride wants 200 of them. Do you just melt your chocolate in the microwave,double boiler or tempered pot. Can you make them the day before. I'm not even sure if I can get strawberries in Oct.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:47am
post #4 of 11

Mine are priced at $24.95 a dozen.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:56am
post #5 of 11

For regular old chocolate dipped strawberries I charge $2.50 each when the berries are in season. I don't offer them when they aren't in season because the quality of the berries is horrid and they are much more expensive. For a tuxedo berry I'd charge $4 each.. they are a lot of work. Right now I would charge more ($5-6 each) since you have to buy more berries to get enough quality berries and they are still expensive. The Godiva stores charge $4 per berry for a normal dipped berry.

I dip mine in a stiff ganache.. 3 parts chocolate to one part cream. It really makes for a nice dipped berry because the chocolate isn't crunchy and you don't lose chunks of chocolate when you bite into it.

cakesondemand Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:57am
post #6 of 11

So about $2 ea seems to be the going price. Thanks

FromScratch Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 11

Not for the tuxedo ones.. icon_wink.gif Do it for $2 each and you'll be cursing yourself 1/2 way through. Double dipping and chocolate accents gets REALLY tedious. If you can get good berries.. I'd charge at least $3.50 each. If you can't get good berries and you will have to buy a ton of extras just to get 200 quality berries.. I'd charge more.

The most important thing you can do before you quote her is to go to the store and see how much it will cost you to make these berries.. you want to make a nice profit.. not just break even. If you have to buy a ton-o-berries.. $2 each may just break you even or worse.. not be enough. (just my two cents anyway)

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:28pm
post #8 of 11

The other thing is that ESPECIALLY off season, you have a very short shelf life of the berries - which means you pretty much have to stay up all night the night before making them.

cakesondemand Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:51am
post #9 of 11

Just talked with someone in my area that has done them and my original price of $45 per doz is the going rate where I am located. Thanks for all the help, $45 per dozen is the quote I sent.

FromScratch Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:23pm
post #10 of 11

That sounds much better.. icon_smile.gif Good luck with the order.. and making them.. 200.. that's (almost) 17 dozen.. PHEW I'm tired just thinking about it!! icon_biggrin.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:30pm
post #11 of 11

One summer I worked at a restaurant that gave out chocolate dipped strawberries with the check - we'd have to make 200-300 a shift of just the plain dipped berries. Fortunately I learned how to blow through making that many VERY quickly!

You can move through them pretty quickly if you get up a rhythm and make sure you mise en place well.

But still...I'd like to have that kind of budget for a wedding where those would be affordable to me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%