Cake Mix Or From Scratch

Decorating By blue123 Updated 14 May 2008 , 10:10pm by lovinkakes

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:54pm
post #31 of 43

PLEASE keep this topic on a positive side. You certainly have a right to your opinion but, remember, you do not have to be mean and spiteful with them icon_cry.gif .

To the OP, yes, this topic has been covered many times...sometimes the threads get so heated that they have to be locked or deleted (which we hate to do) but are left with no other choice icon_sad.gif .

Since you are a "Newbie" and wouldn't know about researching for topics, I am sending you an apology and hope that you will continue to enjoy your stay at CC...WELCOME aboard icon_biggrin.gif

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue123

That is a great question...Can you open a store using boxed cake mix? I've often wondered if Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker would sell their products differently to a bakery than they do to a store.

I'm curious about the answer to this question as well. I once worked as a decorator in a bakery that had several newspaper articles written up about their "famous butter cake recipe" that had been passed down for generations. Funny enough, however, there were stacks and stacks of DH boxes in the basement. I only decorated, didn't bake, so I can only assume it was a doctored recipe.

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #33 of 43

I hope that no one took what I say to be mean!
Cheers,
ally icon_smile.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:19pm
post #34 of 43

My cakes are all from secret family recipes handed down to me from my Uncle "Duncan" and my Aunt "Betty".

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:25pm
post #35 of 43

LOL icon_biggrin.gif

We are all one big happy family!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #36 of 43
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:32pm
post #37 of 43

In my most requested recipes, it is about 30% doctored cake mixes and the other 70% "scratch" icon_smile.gif but I have been known to throw dry pudding mix into my "scratch' recipes, which then starts us on a whole quest of what is scratch and what is not, lol.

And to be honest, I don't care as long as they like it!!! Right now I can get cake mix for .80 at Wal-Mart but if that follows the line of all the other items that now cost double, I will have to go another direction. Part of my attraction to dr'd mixes is their cost, ease of use and moist taste.

** notice I mentioned cost first? (cheep,cheep,cheep)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:53pm
post #38 of 43

I have a store and I use Ms. Crocker's mixes! icon_smile.gif All the ladies at Walmart know me very well! thumbs_up.gif

And yes, fruit cake is definitely a non-mix item!

I have made the choc cake on the Hershey cocoa can and it turned out great. Also made a vegan cake from scratch (internet recipe) for a vegan who was attending one of my frat events ..... it actually tasted good! And I've tried a choc cake made with brown sugar that everyone seemed to like.

I'm slo-o-o-o-o-o-w-ly crossing that line, folks! icon_lol.gif But I'm keeping the "recipe" that got me to this point! icon_rolleyes.gif

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:20am
post #39 of 43

[quote="melysa"]in a stand mixer, combine and beat on high for 3-5 minutes, until light and creamy:

At 5000' we don't beat anything 'til it's light and creamy. It'll go through the roof! I'll have to try something like that hershey's recipe, too, although figuring out the high altitude measurements will be difficult.

Usually it's adding some more flour or another egg. And definitely not whipping anything.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:58am
post #40 of 43

I use DH..... A customer called me today that I made some cupcakes for and she said wow they were great! I can tell its a homemade cake. YEAH home made from Duncan Hines. Why make scratch when they like the box? I do add additional things to them though

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:06am
post #41 of 43

I like some cake mixes, I use a french vanilla cake mix and add egss and butter and milk. It's really good! I always wondered the samething also doing cakes and using mixes. Nothing like pushing a cart around wally world with 20 cake mixes in it..lol. I worked at a football stadium last yead as a pastry chef and they bought cake mixes from Pilsbury i believe or maybe sysco, anyways they where 5# mixes and I would make like 10 half sheet pans from mixes, it was quick and cost effective. I think most of them taste pretty good. I make most of my cake from scratch though. Although half the time I'm tempted to use mixes because it's so cheap.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:55am
post #42 of 43

[quote="lovinkakes"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

in a stand mixer, combine and beat on high for 3-5 minutes, until light and creamy:

At 5000' we don't beat anything 'til it's light and creamy. It'll go through the roof! I'll have to try something like that hershey's recipe, too, although figuring out the high altitude measurements will be difficult.

Usually it's adding some more flour or another egg. And definitely not whipping anything.

yikes! i found a site that has helpful tips on how to adjust flour, eggs, leavening and sugar as well as temp etc. for five thousand feet. http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/cake_decorating/31903

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:10pm
post #43 of 43

Yeah, we've seen all those sites! Thanks, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%