Out Of Curiosity, What Would You Have Charged?

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 10 May 2008 , 4:06pm by babynewyear

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 24

i made this for a surprise 40th bday for a hunter. his wife wanted it to be a funny cake - hunter going "potty" while deer pointed gun at him. this was my first time with the figures; the deer was a toy wrapped with gumpaste.

it's a 9x13 with a six inch buttercream frosted pound cake, 2 layers. for future reference, what would you have charge a customer for this cake?? i'm not sure that i charged appropriately for all the work that went into the figures.

thank you!

ashley
LL
LL

23 replies
kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 24

mom42ws-Great job! Especially for first time figure modelling thumbs_up.gif
I would charge between $45 and $50. How much did you charge?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 24

Well, I'd WANT to charge at least $50.00 - $ 55.00. But in real life I can only expect about $40.00 and then people here would think it was a little high.

GREAT JOB!! Worth EVERY PENNY you charged!

Beth in KY

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 24

I agree with kjt, but I'd never do that good with modeling! Awesome cake!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 24

I would've charged at least $65, but I tend to undercharge for my cakes, too.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 24

Not that I really actually know how to even charge for these but I will take a CC member guess...(after spending so much time here I have learned a lot for my own future reference)

So I would guess that the sheet cake severs 28 (according to Wilton) And the 6" serves 8 and with the work on figures and cost for their supplies...$65-$75 total...

CelebrationCakery Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 24

I forgot to add...what you have here is not just cake...this is your artwork and some people do not buy art but the ones that do are the ones that will appreciate all of the work you have put into this.

So just always remember that the art you are offering is worth more than that frozen cake they will get with horrible writing from Joe ShmoesMart.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 24

Great cake! At least $75.00

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 24

I would charge $50.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 24

These are both 2 layer cakes? Then you have 50 servings there and I would charge $150. Single layers I would charge $90. But then I bake from scratch using top quality ingredients and butter-only buttercream, so if you box bake and use shortening, I'm sure you could charge $10-$25 less than I do! Nice cake and a great job for your first models!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 24

i WOULD HAVE CHARGED 60.00 FOR THIS CAKE. YOU DID A GREAT JOB WITH YOUR MODELING. THE CAKE IS VERY CUTE AND WELL DONE

mom42ws Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:18pm
post #12 of 24

wow, this is very interesting....many of you said $40-50. both of these cakes combined have a serving of 57 (per wilton), so you guys are charging less than a $1.00 a serving not to mention the molded figures. the figures took a few days to do because of drying time and such. a lot of time and effort.

all of you are underpricing yourselves!!!!!!!!

ashley

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

Great cake! At least $75.00

I agree!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:23pm
post #14 of 24

So what ELSE is new? LOL

Beth

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:27pm
post #15 of 24

I'm too new to this to know what to charge but wanted to tell you that I think your cake is AWESOME! icon_biggrin.gif

mom42ws Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:27pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

These are both 2 layer cakes? Then you have 50 servings there and I would charge $150. Single layers I would charge $90. But then I bake from scratch using top quality ingredients and butter-only buttercream, so if you box bake and use shortening, I'm sure you could charge $10-$25 less than I do! Nice cake and a great job for your first models!

yes, they are both 2-layer cakes and i do make everything from scratch. i charged roughly $135 but was thinking it should have been more based on the modelled figures. i just don't have any idea about how to price these little guys out.

thanks everyone for your feedback icon_smile.gif

ashley

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:38pm
post #17 of 24

I think $135 was a very reasonable price considering all the time you put into the cake.

I've been promoting my cakes as 'works of art' NOT cake because that is exactly what they are. It's not just cake and icing - LOL trying to retrain these WM customers has been a bit of a task.

GREAT JOB!!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:41pm
post #18 of 24

I wonder if anyone has ever gone to a birthday party and only had a Wilton sized serving of cake! It's helpful to use that guide so you have a consistent way to price, but on non-wedding cakes, I always assume people want a bit more than just that Wilton sized sliver of cake.

CelebrationCakery Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #19 of 24

I am just wondering where we are getting the serving count on this...(I was looking the the wilton 2002 yearbook...do they change their serving amounts occassionall... (just wondering?) I always just grab any yearbook to look these up and don't want to keep making that mistake...

mom42ws Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:47pm
post #20 of 24

i go to wilton's website and for the purposes of this cake used the guidelines for a 2 inch party cake. it says for a 6" 12 servings and for a 9x13 45.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #21 of 24

2002 yearbook has weird serving sizes! Larger ones than are now used for weddings and smaller amounts now used for parties. If you've got a customer who wants a sizeable piece of cake for a party then this chart is very useful. Otherwise I find the current Wilton charts very accurate and more than adequate, but I always deduct a few servings to be on the safe side icon_smile.gif.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:57pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom42ws

yes, they are both 2-layer cakes and i do make everything from scratch. i charged roughly $135 but was thinking it should have been more based on the modelled figures. i just don't have any idea about how to price these little guys out.

thanks everyone for your feedback icon_smile.gif

ashley

Well, then good for you, great to see a scratch baker and it's also nice to see someone who is charging what they are worth for a change! FYI, I based your cake on 50 servings and I used my $2.50 basic price for buttercream (seeing as there was not any complicated work with that), and then added on an extra $25 for the figures. Hope that helps!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:58pm
post #23 of 24

This is how I would look at it. For a double layer (4" tall) 9x13 you would have 50 wedding servings. A 6" double layer cake (again 4" tall) will give you 10 (wilton says 12). That's 60 servings. For the cake alone I would charge $240 and the modelling would be another $100. For a single layer configuration it'd be $120 for the cake and $100 for the modeling.

Everyone has a different idea of servings.. mine are a bit less than Wilton's wedding servings because I like nice round numbers.. so if wilton says 12.. I say 10. It makes the math easy for my brain. icon_wink.gif

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:06pm
post #24 of 24

What you charged sounds very reasonable. Prices are going up so much on ingredients too. NIce job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%