Rhododendrons Or Azalea Gumpaste/fondant Flowers?

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 10 May 2008 , 12:03am by Rocketgirl899

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 13

Hello all!

I am working on a going away cake for a friend. He is moving to Seattle (my home city!, though I am stuck in FL right now...) and I wanted to incorporate as much "washington" into the design.

I would really like to make rhododendrons to place on the cake but haven't the slighest idea how to form them.

They are similar to an azalea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

I will settle for daffidols or tulips if I must... but I would rather not icon_smile.gif Thanks!!!

Rocket

I have attached a picture to help!
LL
LL

12 replies
catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 13

I can't really help with this ... But I thought on giving you a bump...to get some help !!

YanYan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YanYan Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 13

okay I am no flower expert but I woul suggest going to sugarcraft and checking out the dvd at the top right hand corner

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/lessons.htm

the azalea cutters are on this page

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gumpaste.htm#a

If you can't get access to these I suggest you find some small hibiscuses
open them and make petal templates, ruffle the ends with the ball tool and arrange them in a cluster after you have made multiple mini ones cuz the pic looks like mini clustered hibiscus flowers.

Good luck though, whatever you decide thumbs_up.gif

YanYan Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 13

oh i see what is happenning the site is Sugar craft . com was blocked icon_sad.gif

shoe-gar-kraft-dot-com (in case this is blocked too)

search for the flowers u want in their search bar and it will lead you to the links I was trying to provide or go to google and type the flower you want + the company name I provide and it should help

YanYan Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 13

sorry to post so many times just trying to help that's all icon_biggrin.gif

the woman who sells the dvd (disc 2) "from the garden" with tutorials on the rhododendrons is called Linda Reece

and you can find the azaleas under gumpaste cutters under 'a'

Good luck again

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 13

Catin, thanks for the bump!

YanYan

Thanks. I know I saw azalea cutters on Sugarcraft. i totally spaced on making them like a hibiscus and then ruffling the edges! Thanks for that icon_smile.gif

after looking more, I think I will try to get the "trumpet" look as well. Thanks so much.

I will try to post pictures if when/if i succeed icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 13

YanYan!

I really appreciate it.

The DVD looks good.. but for 30 bux... i just wish i could see what hers looked like before spending that kind of money... for one flower icon_smile.gif

THANKS!!!!

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 13

Linda Reese is awesome, I take classes from her all the time, and to make it really great, she's from Seattle. I also think you could wire your stamens, make a mexican hat with a wide brim, and use your carnation cutter. Cut some notches in it to form arches, and heavily frill it, then pull the stemans through the center. Make about five the wire them together in a cluster. I think the leaves could really make the flowers. Good luck.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 13

plus I can't tell if its fondant/gumpaste or butter cream!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 13

My aunt lives in Bothell!

I use to live in Puyallup... icon_smile.gif

Thanks. for you help.

The cake is for the 20th.. so hopefully I can get it together icon_smile.gif

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:47pm
post #11 of 13

Linda works a lot in buttercream, and one of her videos is buttercream flowers, but I have taken an azalea gumpaste class from her. I think a hibiscus or azalea cutter would work if you frill it a lot, and gather it loosely.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #12 of 13

fantastic. thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:03am
post #13 of 13

So doing some more internet shopping.. and I found this cutter... and with your "mexican hat" trick (which I ahve never heard of icon_smile.gif so I looked it up... which is the "trumpet" look I was going for) is going to be FANTASTIC.

It an African Velvetfrost Violet Metal Flower Cutter from http://www.creationsbyedith.com/product_info.php/products_id/331?osCsid=0cb3fcdc0a7c358f39032eeb6d2a1726
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%