Martha Stewart Wedding Book.. Just Have To Say Wow! And ??'s

Decorating By rezzygirl Updated 21 May 2008 , 7:49pm by Yomomma

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 25

It's beautiful! After reading some comments here about it, I finally got it yesterday and WOW icon_surprised.gif . Usually I'll get a book like this, flip through it and forget about it until I need my cake pic fix... but my nose was in this book from cover to cover! Beautiful cakes pics, layed out beautifully and has recipes too! I was wondering if anyone here has tried any of the recipes yet? Any brides requesting designs from this book yet?

24 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 25

Yes, CC member Wrightway, I believe, has a requested design, and I am working on one on p. 49. I'm hoping to do the fern one soon, as well.

I'm with you -- I can't put the book down. And there is such a range of styles -- you're sure to find something you like. The pictures are so large too, it's easy to see the details. And there's a surprising amount of "how-to" for what is really intended to be a picture book.

Well...just my opinion anyway. icon_smile.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 25

I've made two of the cakes and frostings. They're both chocolate of course-the first is the choc butter cake with cherry ganache frosting-yummy in the tummy and the chocolate cake with the SMBC with the choc sauce (which I didn't do). I got lots of compliments on the taste of both those cakes. Trying the Citrus cake next.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 25

Where did you guys find this book??

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 25

Those cakes are making my tummy rumble...guess I'm going to be getting that book as well!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 25

I found mine on Ebay for $28 including shipping but others have mentioned some cookbook club for a lot less. HTH

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 25

i got mine from thegoodcook.com if you sign up for the book club you can get it almost free and only have to buy 2 more books. i cacelled right after i fullfilled my membership

rezzygirl Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit-four

Yes, CC member Wrightway, I believe, has a requested design, and I am working on one on p. 49. I'm hoping to do the fern one soon, as well.

I'm with you -- I can't put the book down. And there is such a range of styles -- you're sure to find something you like. The pictures are so large too, it's easy to see the details. And there's a surprising amount of "how-to" for what is really intended to be a picture book.

Well...just my opinion anyway. icon_smile.gif

You're gonna do page 49!! That's a gorgeous cake but sure looks like a lot of work! I hope you post it when youre done!

I got my book from www.jessicasbiscuit.com (aka www.ecookbooks.com) for $38. More than yall paid, but no complaints! I used to beling to thegoodcook, but got stuck with a bunch of books I didn't like. All my fault for not just shipping them back. Me and Books clubs just don't get along. icon_lol.gif

janebrophy Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:33am
post #9 of 25

I hear you about book clubs! I really thought about it, but think I'll go the ebay route!

Petit-four Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:29am
post #10 of 25

Regarding p. 49 -- Well, actually just three layers of it (the easier ones). icon_redface.gif With red roses in between.

Hey, now I'm getting nervous! icon_cry.gif

Wendy Kromer (book co-author) has a detailed tutorial on it at the end of the book, so it shouldn't be too bad. I had a Wilton wedding book out too, the the bride and her mother sort of glanced at it, and kept going back to the Martha Stewart book. (I got it for $20 + shipping from an Amazon seller. thumbs_up.gif)

rezzygirl Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit-four

Regarding p. 49 -- Well, actually just three layers of it (the easier ones). icon_redface.gif With red roses in between.

Hey, now I'm getting nervous! icon_cry.gif

Wendy Kromer (book co-author) has a detailed tutorial on it at the end of the book, so it shouldn't be too bad. I had a Wilton wedding book out too, the the bride and her mother sort of glanced at it, and kept going back to the Martha Stewart book. (I got it for $20 + shipping from an Amazon seller. thumbs_up.gif)

LOL! I'm sure you'll do fine! thumbs_up.gif Those are very good instructions, (another nice thing about the book).

janebrophy Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:00pm
post #12 of 25

Just wanted to add that I went to a bookstore (Chapters) here in Canada, and the price of this book is $77.00!! I was shocked! Anybody think it's worth the investment? I didn't actually look at the book, I called to get the price. Maybe a bookclub isn't such a bad idea!

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:23pm
post #13 of 25

I checked it out from the library and WOW!!! It has some gorgeous pics. I am seriously thinking of buying it. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:26pm
post #14 of 25

I got it for mothers day and already have a booking for the blue cake on page 126. The photos are just breathtaking!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #15 of 25

What's the name of the new book?

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:47pm
post #16 of 25

The name of the book is Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes and like everyone has said - it's AWESOME!!! I got mine on overstock.com for like $33ish (don't remember the exact price) and it's been great.

janebrohpy, personally I wouldn't pay $77 for it. I'm not at the level where I can afford to pay THAT much for ONE book.

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:17pm
post #17 of 25

I checked out my copy from my local library. I preveiw new books this way buy them if I really like them. I'm doing the cake on page 155 in aug. Wendy Kromer has her own website and she also sells kits to some of her cakes, the cherry blossom and the fern cakes.

I was lucky enough to take a class at the Culinary Institute of America in NY. The master chefs loved Martha because she does books with great pictures and you can learn great presentation ideas from them and also because she likes to teach what she knows not keep everything a secret like some.

Jo

cakesbyjulie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjulie2 Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:54pm
post #18 of 25

I can't find the Martha Wedding Book on thegoodcook.com Help?

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #19 of 25

Mine is on backorder from thegoodcook.com. But I was on their site earlier today and I saw it there. Put Martha's name in their search feature.

Petit-four Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #20 of 25

I'll add again -- (no, I don't work for Martha) -- it is a really good investment. Try on-line stores first for pretty substantial discounts, though.

Like everyone said, the photos are crisp and clear (and quite large -- this is a coffee-table sized book) -- and there are quite a few directions, given that it's not really intended to be a "how-to" book. I have gotten several bookings from it, so it paid for itself. For some reason, it seems to merge the conceptual gap between cake artists and client.

However, I should note some weaknesses....NOT for you if:
1) you want LOTS of directions
2) love whimsical or casual cakes (not much of the Collette look in here)
3) You want lots of ideas for men's cakes
4) Martha is NOT wearing a hairnet when she decorates! Bad, bad, Martha! icon_twisted.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:06pm
post #21 of 25

Sorry, I was behind, I got that one when it came out. I sat with Darcy on the plane to NY two months ago and she was working on another book. I was hoping this was a newer one.

Thanks.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:37pm
post #22 of 25

i'll have to go and pick up a copy since so many good things are being said about this book! icon_eek.gif

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:03pm
post #23 of 25

I'm baffled - I cannot find it on thegoodcook.com - searched by Martha Stewart - found some of her other books but not that one.

cakesbyjulie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjulie2 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:16pm
post #24 of 25

Me too I posted about it yesterday. I just emailed and asked them if they carried it. I will post when I get a response.

Julie

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #25 of 25

Ummm, that's strange...it was there yesterday but today I can't find it either! Maybe they removed it since it was backordered?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%