Mother's Day Cake Problems..

Decorating By milocat15 Updated 9 May 2008 , 11:29pm by YouTakeTheCake

milocat15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milocat15 Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 7

Im making a cake for my mother for mother's day but I'm in a rut. She requested that the frosting be coconut pecan, a packaged frosting that's textured like finely chopped coconut. She loves to garden and loves animals, especially birds. The frosting is light brown.. does anyone have any ideas as to what I should decorate (gumpaste decorations!) the cake with? aka design ideas? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

6 replies
shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 7

could you use that icing just on top...that way you could decorate the sides in a basketweave or something else. it would kind of look like ground. you could then add flowers or a bench or something else along that theme...not sure that makes sense

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 7

It sounds like you will be making a german chocolate cake. mmmm yummy

If your mother likes chocolate icing.....
you could frost the cake layers with the coconut pecan frosting and frost the outside with the chocolate icing.

This way you can still decorate the way you were planning on or you can just make it a more formal looking cake.

sometimes less is more.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 7

I was going to suggest filling it with that frosting instead. Do the outside in something easier to decorate.

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 7

Could you make the cake look like a bird nest with that frosting? It would go with the theme.

bartar01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bartar01 Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 7

I was also thinking of a birds nest.

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 7

I don't know it this would help but this is a cake I did for easter..... looks like a garden....and the brown frosing would go very well!!!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%