I Really Need Some Advice Here!! Please!!

Decorating By shelbycompany Updated 9 May 2008 , 1:11am by CakesBySandy

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 7

ok, I just need to vent a little here and get a little advice. about 2 weeks ago I landed what I thought was my dream job... a real cake decorator in a real bakery. Well my first few days were an absolute blast. I understand that being the new girl I have to take some crap and do whatever I am told by any member of the staff. It just seems to be getting worse. I am so busy doing everything except decorating cakes which I was hired to do. It seems that my manager does ALL of the good ones and I am left with "preparing" them to be decorated. I realize that I am a little slower than the other girls are but they have been decorating cakes for like 15 years. I made my very first one only a year ago.

Anyway, this girl gets all over me for the smallest things. I am the new girl, I'm bound to make a few mistakes. I am not saying that as an excuse...I'm saying it as a fact. My manager doesn't say a word about anything that I may be doing incorrectly. I think that's poor management. She just goes to the owner and complains. I understand that working at a bakery is hard work but man...if you only knew what this is like.

Oh, by the way, when I had my interview with the owner I straight out told him that I have never decorated cakes for a living before and couldn't really decorate a cake in all buttercream that well but I could work well with fondant. I have 10+ years experience working in an office. He wanted to hire me because of my fondant skills. He really liked my portfolio and loved my interview cake. He said that he wasn't trying to compete with publix or walmart so if it took a little longer to decorate, he was fine with that. He just wanted someone to put out quality not quanitiy cakes. Now my manager and the other girl can decorate a cake really fast. They do great work but there are so many flaws that if I ordered a cake from there I would not be that happy with the major flaws. I think if just 5 more minutes were spent on the cake it would be really awesome.

The girl that says stuff to me about things not getting done as fast as they should be and bossing me around has the same job duties that I do. She gets mad when everything isn't allready done when she shows up for work 3 hours after I do.

Anyway, sorry this is so long but I just need some advice. Should I go to the owner or say something to my manager or just deal with it.
If you agree with them, please let me know so I can just get over it.

Thank you for listening...I feel a little better already!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 7

Oh boy does this post bring back memories for me. I went thru similar situation about 15-20 yrs ago. Is there some way you can go to the boss and have a private talk w/him? Maybe ask when you will be able to work w/fondant.
Does this p[lace make 'counter cakes'? Can you make one or two of those to see how they sell?
What is it you are suppose to have done before this other decorator comes in? Can you work on getting it done sooner so she can't get upset w/you right off? Try to kill her w/kindness.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #3 of 7

No advice. Except for maybe telling her that you're new and you're trying as hard as you can and that if the manager had an issue with it, you assume she/he would talk to you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:35am
post #4 of 7

Honestly, the low person on the bakery totem pole has the job of base icing cakes for the decorator to make pretty. Once you prove your skill in producing perfectly flat top cakes with smooth sides really fast, then they will move you into decorating. At least that's the way it was for me. I would not go to the manager as you'll probably be labeled a complainer.

Fair? Heck no. Realistic? Unfortunately, yes.

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:37am
post #5 of 7

First off, I'd talk to the manager first. If this doesn't work, then go to the boss. I don't think you should jump the chain of command unless your immediate superviser doesn't help you.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:56am
post #6 of 7

If it's only been two weeks, then don't go to the manager and defintely not the owner yet. As Leahs said, you're the newbie with the least experience. I'm almost positive everyone else there started out doing the same thing, and if you go to the manager or owner now and complain about doing prep work, then they will more likely think you are being a prima donna. No one walks into a bakery with no professional experience and little experience with hobby decorating and goes right into big projects on their own.

They will not be giving you orders to do on your own yet this soon in the game. You will be doing prep work and everything else except for decorating for at least the first six months.

If you are still having this issue 6+ months down the road, then go to the manager. Otherwise, welcome to the real world of professional cake decorating!

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:11am
post #7 of 7

Being the newbie, I would not complain yet. If someone is giving you a hard time then find something about them that is good and compliment the person then ask for suggestions as to how you can get up to his/her speed. You are the new person so try not to make enemies by being a narc. Who knows, the person who is giving you a hard time may feel a little threatened. I think by complimenting the person and asking for advice would difuse the situation and let her know you are on her team.

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%