Michael's Vs. Hobby Lobby

Decorating By jmabaxter Updated 10 May 2008 , 7:02pm by diane

jmabaxter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmabaxter Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know which one has cheaper cake decorating supplies? I need to go out tonight to grab a few things for a cake I'm doing tomorrow and don't really want to be running around from store to store since I have 2 little ones. TIA

10 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 11

they are pretty close in prices, but it depends on what you need. Hobby Lobby has coupons sometimes and also some decent sales. There are some tools at Michael's that Hobby Lobby doesn't have. If you're going for cake boards or something, I don't know if there's a big difference.

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 11

In my experience, Hobby Lobby is more expensive. They have some things that Michaels does not have, and vice versa. For stuff I know they both have, I go to michaels.... Hope that helps!

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 11

In my area they are very comparable in selection and price. I find that my Walmart has much better prices and a decent selection of Wilton products. icon_wink.gif

I think it depends on what you are needing and I love to use the coupons! Too bad there isn't a Hobby Lobby 40% off Wilton coupon this week! icon_razz.gif

cre8ivemary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8ivemary Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:00am
post #5 of 11

My 1st choice would be Michaels.
It depends on what supplies you're looking for but I do agree Hobby Lobby seems to be more pricer w/o coupon.They also seem to have more choice selections than Michaels.

Walmart is of course cheaper,but don't have much of a selection.

jmabaxter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmabaxter Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:36am
post #6 of 11

Thanks....I ended up going to Michaels. I think I'll keep my receipt and compare prices next time I'm in Hobby Lobby.

jbnhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbnhayes Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 11

In my area Michaelâs is higher on some things, cheaper on others. So âone stop shoppingâ is hard if you are looking to get the cheapest prices. Luckily, Hobby Lobby is only two blocks away from Michaelâs here.
icon_biggrin.gif
I signed up on line to get the Michaelâs ad by e-mail, and I now regularly receive 50% off coupons in the mail. One mailing had deals for three weeks running! icon_smile.gif

My Michaelâs will also honor the Hobby Lobby coupons. Maybe because they are so close, but it never hurts to ask. Every little bit helps.

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 11

Check party stores too. We have a huge party store near and they have a FANTASTIC cake supply selection. They have dummies, all sorts of boxes, boards, etc.

jbnhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbnhayes Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 11

Boy that would be nice...the party store here just stopped carring any cake supplies. icon_sad.gif

NayNay2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NayNay2 Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 11

I like Michaels selection far better then Hobby Lobby and we get 40% off coupons for Michaels all the time so thats what I use for my bigger ticket purchases. Plus the one by my house must be doing really well with selling their cake supplies b/c they've added to it.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 May 2008 , 7:02pm
post #11 of 11

i wish i had a hobby lobby in my area! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%