Pricing ? - I Can't Believe I'm Posting This

Decorating By leah_s Updated 9 May 2008 , 12:10am by FromScratch

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 27

Because I'm generally the one answering this type of question. icon_biggrin.gif

OK, I made a wedding dress cake for a freind's wedding shower. It was a gift, so I didn't charge. However, with all the oos and ahhhs, I suspect that I may get more orders. The whole thing was about 12" tall, with a black 8" round 2" tall fondant covered base that the mannequin was "standing" on. The mannequin was a black fondant torso, no heads, no arms. Dress had pearl buttons on the back bodice, cumerbund and bow with train. All fondant of course. I don't do sculpted cakes as a rule. So, I'm thinking this sort of thing should go for about $125 or so. Opinions?

And I have never figured out how to attach a picture, even after following the directions several times.

26 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 27

Leah, I was hoping I could help when I saw your post, since I have gotten so much help from you....but alas I can't because I've not done one of these type of cakes. I'm sure you'll get some great advice though icon_biggrin.gif

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

And I have never figured out how to attach a picture, even after following the directions several times.

i'm happy I'm not alone- I haven't figured this out either.

For all the work on that cake 125 sounds too cheap! But I don't sell cakes either. Sorry I'm no help.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 27

So the base is 8" - does the mean the torso part is more like 6"? Is this carved with fondant accents and all those details the makes wedding dress cakes so gorgoues? If so, $125 seems too low.....

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 27

[quote="leahs"]

Quote:
Quote:

that's ok, nobody is perfect.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 27

I would go no less than $150...maybe even $185.
How many would it serve? I'm having trouble picturing it.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 27

I, too, think $125 is too low especially based on your caliber of work! Taking into consideration you made it all and it's 12" tall, I'm imagining this amazing concoction of work that must have taken hours. Okay, at least hours for me. icon_lol.gif Then with the details I think you'd be fine for pushing $200 unless you want to do a base rate for plain wedding dresses and then charge according to accents which then would make this price more reasonable.

Okay, now to recover from the chance to offer advice to the mighty Leahs!

icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 27

okay.. I am trying to picture it. I am seeing 2 6"tiers stacked and carved to be the shape of a dress bottom on an 8" round 2" tall base.

the 8" round 2" tall feeds 10
the 2 6" tiers feed 20

That's 30 servings.. am I in the ballpark here? icon_smile.gif

I start all carved cakes at $6/serving. That'd be $180 from me with additional cost of the modeling (the torso and dress bodice).. I'd say $200 minimum. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 27

I say for a sculpted cake no less than $175..I dont know how many servings you got there but you got shape and a lot of details. I say Jkalman is closer to the right price. $200.
When I do a cake for a friend like that I tell them dont tell this cake was for free and I tell them a price so they can tell other people the real price of the cake. They tend to appreciatte more the work when I do that.
What is the issue you are having when you post photos? Maybe they are too big in size and need to be resized!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 27

Another way to figure it out is check the amount of hours you put in the cake and pay yourself by the hour..It helps figure prices too!

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:

. . . forgive me . . . but I would like to address this statement . . . it is clear to me that you can/have attached a picture . . . in as much as you have an avatar . . . if you are interested in pursuing a solution here (I'm sure it would help everyone that is trying to answer your current question if they could see a picture) . . . let me know and I will try to talk you through it . . . icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 27

Just from what you described It should be at the very minimum double what you quoted!!!!!!

It sounds beautiful! I hope to see it soon!

Amy

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 27

To attach the picture in your post, at the bottom of the posting page, click on the attachment button, then browse and find the pic on your computer, upload and submit.....the picture appears in the post (unless it's crazy big - then you have to re-size).

and yeah, I'm a visual person too so seeing a picture is always best - especially when evaluating details to determine price. HTH icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:28pm
post #14 of 27

This was a pretty simple design - only embossing on the skirt. This is a pic from the shower hostess, not from my camera. And remember this is the first time I ever tried anything like this.
LL

leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 27

Thanks Diva. Obviously I did it! I was making it way harder than that.

leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:36pm
post #16 of 27

Since I didn't know what I was doing exactly and hate to carve cake, for the skirt portion I used a 6" round for the bottom, a 5" round on top of that, and then topped that with one mini Wonder Mold. That just left a little to be shaved off the top edges of the cakes.

My hat is off to all of you who carve cake.

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:36pm
post #17 of 27

I made this cake for a bridal shower last month and it cost me almost 30 in ingredients. I called around to two places that make custom cakes, and they would charge $63.99. Mine was a 10 base 6 base and the full size wonder mold, with a dress form doll pick, all bc and fondant with pearl dust and dragees for pearls. Unfortunately, mine was a freebbie!
I have it posted if you want to see it.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:37pm
post #18 of 27

Leahs, its really beautiful! The way I would price something like that is to figure the price for the cake I used (even what was carved away) at the fondant price and then figure a price for the modeling. For the torso, I would probably charge about $15-$20.

tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 7:10pm
post #19 of 27

Is the upper body cake...or something else leah? I say $150...Since is a smaller cake.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #20 of 27

Beautiful. Kinda like a doll cake which I charge $100 for. Other carved cakes start at $7 per serving for me, how many did it feed?

FromScratch Posted 8 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #21 of 27

That's still 30 servings.. 10 for the base, 10 for the 6", 6 or so for the 5", and a couple for the mini wondermold.

The lowest I'd go is $5/serving (my regular fondant price).. that's $150 plus another $15-20 for the torso. I'd go with $180-$220.

It came out really good Leah!! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

That's still 30 servings.. 10 for the base, 10 for the 6", 6 or so for the 5", and a couple for the mini wondermold.

The lowest I'd go is $5/serving (my regular fondant price).. that's $150 plus another $15-20 for the torso. I'd go with $180-$220.

It came out really good Leah!! thumbs_up.gif

Oh icon_surprised.gif I didnt see there was a 10 in there too..I was going only by the 5 and the 6
Edna icon_redface.gif

leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:48pm
post #23 of 27

The torso was a hunk of fondant on a stick. After I wrestled with it, I realized that I had a body mold in my collection. icon_smile.gif

I had originally thought $150, then started wondering if that was too much. Wow, does that sound familiar!

OK, thanks for the counsel everyone!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:23pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:

I had originally thought $150, then started wondering if that was too much. Wow, does that sound familiar!

icon_lol.gif You're too funny!!!

I love it! The sash and embossing is gorgeous. I definitely would charge no less than $150 and probably still closer to $200. That's a lot of work and cake.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:06pm
post #25 of 27

I've started charging $5 a serving for cakes like that, with a minimum of $150. So if they want 50 servings it's $250, but if they want 20 it's still the $150 minimum, and they'll get 30 servings whether they like it or not! icon_biggrin.gif

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #26 of 27

I've made something very similar and I charged $180 (Massachusetts). Generally, my carved 3D cakes begin at $6 per serving and this one is not too complicated that it would be a higher price.

I used a doll pick for the body; removed her arms, decapitated her, and then covered the torso in black fondant.

Great job, Leah, especially for your first 3D!! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #27 of 27

LOL Leah.. I found myself second guessing myself too today when pricing cupcakes (it was for a family member but not for a family function).. but I stuck to my prices.

It really did come out beautiful! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%