My New Website Is Done! Check It Out

Business By luvscakes Updated 14 May 2008 , 3:09pm by mjcakes

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #1 of 43

Hi!
I have worked hard on this website and am so glad it's finally live!
Please check it out and tell me honestly what you thhink or things you would change.
Thanks so much!

www.CakeAffection.com

42 replies
cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:39am
post #2 of 43

Very nice! Love your logo!

The only thing I would maybe suggest, your phone number/email is only on the last page - I would maybe put in on a couple of the other headers, so they don't have to "find" it.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:48am
post #3 of 43

i think it looks really good. i am concerned with there being music, i am one of those people who surfs at work, and would find it very annoying to have that pop up. While i figured out how to stop the music, there may be many who won't.

carrot cake description, you misspelled raisen (raisin)

other than these 2 small concerns, it looks fantastic!

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #4 of 43

I think it looks great! Congratulations. It must be exciting to have your website up and running.

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #5 of 43

i really like it! i love the song choice but i understand that not all people would like it. great job!

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:58am
post #6 of 43

Very nice job! Your Fear Factor cake made me smile, loved the eyeball icon_lol.gif !!!

All of your cakes were beautiful!!! icon_biggrin.gif I wish you the best of luck!!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:08am
post #7 of 43

I really like it...I agree with the music part...Although I do love the song...

Edna

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:09am
post #8 of 43

There are some misspellings in your cake descriptions. Under your Island Dream cake, you put "pinapple" instead of pineapple. Under your Lemon Berry cake, you put "rerfreshing" instead of refreshing. I personally wouldn't capitalize the A in the middle of Lemonade, but I guess that's a matter of personal preference. Also, under the Lemonade cake description, you put "meriange" instead of meringue. Under the Death by Chocolate, you put "decadance" instead of decadence. As kimberlina25 pointed out above, under your Carrot Cake description, you put "raisens" instead of raisins. Under Java-Mocha you put "cappaccino" instead of cappuccino. That's all I found on that page, but I'll go ahead and post this and then go back and look at the other pages.

jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:09am
post #9 of 43

Website looks Great! Very classy! I have to agree with the "no" music. Although it is a great song, I am also a work-web surfer!

Laura102777 Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:18am
post #10 of 43

Okay, I took a look at the pricing page, and I think that you should change the part that says "All of our cakes start at $45.00" to "Our cakes begin at a minimum of $45.00" or something like that. Otherwise it sounds like no matter how big the cake is, it may be available for $45.00.

In the note below your Italian Meringue Buttercream price, you put "apperance" instead of appearance. Under your Fondant price, you have an extra "fresh" in the sentence.

Laura102777 Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:22am
post #11 of 43

Okay, I'm done proofreading. Overall I like the website. I do agree about the music. I'm not even at work, but I immediately hit the mute button on my laptop. Overall, it's a good looking website and has quite a bit of info for your customers.

klacrawford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klacrawford Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:29am
post #12 of 43

Hmmm, I liked the music. Very nice song I need to look it up hehe. My husband was a music major so I have been showered with all types of music for about 8 years now so I love it and think you made a good selection that almost anyone can like no matter what genre you like! Good job hunicon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #13 of 43

Yes, I totally agree with Laura102777. That "$45" would be confusing to some people.

The website is gorgeous though. You've done a great job of keeping it visual, low on all the text that can clutter it up and interesting to navigate through.

A really small point...but take out some of the exclamation points everywhere. You don't need to shout or be excited, it just seems a bit unprofessional and juvenile when there are so many. I know it's placed on phrases you want to emphasize, but it's unnecessary. thumbs_up.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:42am
post #14 of 43

Better yet, no mention of what the cheapest/tiniest thing you'll do for them or people will ask what they can get for $45 over and over again.
icon_rolleyes.gif

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:42am
post #15 of 43

I think it looks very professional and you have a great talent. The errors I found have already been pointed out, so great job!

luvscakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:07am
post #16 of 43

Thanks guys. I knew that there were bound to be misspellings. Not only is that a weak point for me but I also had to do this bit by bit and sometimes I'd get things typed in and they would somehow vanish so I'd have to type it in ALL over.
I'll get fixing things tonight.

And yes!!!! I am excited and do use !!!!!! these often! I'll try to downsize on those too as I understand what you are saying. icon_lol.gif

The song though...... I really want to keep it as I love browsing to music, would it help if I put a disclaimer on how to turn the sound off?

And I will take off that minuim $45. I did that because I have had people expect to pay like $20 for one of my cakes and on Duff's website I saw a disclaimer about how all his cakes start at $500.
Maybe I'll just take your advise and change the wording.

Any other comments??

Laura102777 Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:52am
post #17 of 43

Yeah, I definitely don't think you should remove the concept of your $45 minimum order, just change the wording a little bit.

And as for the music, it's not that I didn't like the song. To be honest, I didn't leave it on long enough to hear it. I watch tv and do other things while I'm looking at these things, and I don't like websites with sound unless I have done something to enable that sound (like clicking on a video clip, etc). It's up to you. I don't think people will refuse to look at your website because of the music, there just may be some who are browsing from work who might get in trouble, and some others who just generally get annoyed by music on websites.

Either way, it's a pretty good website! Congratulations!

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:59am
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura102777

There are some misspellings in your cake descriptions. Under your Island Dream cake, you put "pinapple" instead of pineapple. Under your Lemon Berry cake, you put "rerfreshing" instead of refreshing. I personally wouldn't capitalize the A in the middle of Lemonade, but I guess that's a matter of personal preference. Also, under the Lemonade cake description, you put "meriange" instead of meringue. Under the Death by Chocolate, you put "decadance" instead of decadence. As kimberlina25 pointed out above, under your Carrot Cake description, you put "raisens" instead of raisins. Under Java-Mocha you put "cappaccino" instead of cappuccino. That's all I found on that page, but I'll go ahead and post this and then go back and look at the other pages.

WOW! you are on fire, I can't believe I missed all those. I have heard that our brains tend to correct errors while reading, making it difficult to sometimes find typos. I don't know if that is true or not....maybe I am making that up so i don't feel embarrassed icon_redface.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:02am
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura102777

Okay, I'm done proofreading. Overall I like the website. I do agree about the music. I'm not even at work, but I immediately hit the mute button on my laptop. Overall, it's a good looking website and has quite a bit of info for your customers.

Holy cow! You don't fool around icon_smile.gif ~ I am definitely going to have you proofread mine.....my spelling SUCKS! I love that you took the time to check it all out.

Laura102777 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:10am
post #20 of 43

Oh, I'm just a dork with no life! Woohoo! icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:13am
post #21 of 43

Now, Now........if being obsessed with this site and spending hours reading articles and such makes you a dork then it make me one too, lol!!

Grettel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grettel Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:18am
post #22 of 43

Your site is nice. The cakes are lovely. (The pics pass a bit too fast - maybe just for my eyes). Good luck and may you make many more cakes.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:25am
post #23 of 43

I think you have done a wonderful job with this website. I understand what some of the concerns have been with the music, but personally I loved it. I thought it added a very personal sweet touch.

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:26am
post #24 of 43

Great job with the website. Well laid out, beautiful pictures and easy to navigate. Love the cakes. Good luck.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:27am
post #25 of 43

I love it, but i dont care for the music, maybe if it was a soft tune.but your cakes are gorgeous.

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:27am
post #26 of 43

Looks great! You should be very proud! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:37am
post #27 of 43

GREAT website!!!

The only thing that I didn't like was that the pictures were moving way too fast for me. And in the wedding pictures, after every picture it would go back to that same pic (which could be a little annoying).

Other than that - it's awesome! I wish I could make mine look so nice!!

icon_biggrin.gif

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:45am
post #28 of 43

I love the music and I like the speed of the slide show. If I were to 'critique' it at all, I would suggest more 'flash or animation' type interaction and more gallery pix.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:49am
post #29 of 43

I LOVE the cake on your pricing page. Exquisite! I would like to copy that idea. Where did you get the cut-out of the Eiffle tower? My DD goes to a French Immersion school, and I think that idea would be AWESOME for them at a function.

luvscakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:51am
post #30 of 43

thnak again everyone. I'm surprised some of you think the pics go too fast. I'll slow them down!

The Eiflle Tower was just a picture I pulled off the internet and copied in chocolate. It wasn't hard at all. (the black flower design was harder!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%