Graduation Cap?

Decorating By Ah-na Updated 31 May 2008 , 5:32am by Bohnlo

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 7 May 2008 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 22

Can anyone help me with some directions on how to make a graduation cap? I want to make it out of fondant or gumpaste and it will sitting on top of a tennis ball cake. Thanks guys!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 7 May 2008 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 22

i made mine out of a cupcake and a sugar cookie and covered in fondant.
its in pictues. it was really easy- and the tassle was fondant.
good luck!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 7 May 2008 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 22

I did mine with a cardboard square covered with fondant. But I would think that if it is a small cake the size of a tennis ball then you would be fine with like a 50/50 mix just by itself if you have time to let it dry.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 May 2008 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 22

I used a foam core board for mine, but I would agree with marthajo, for the size you want, I would just use 50/50 fondant and gumpaste.... it would work just fine ! Good luck, and post a picture when you get done, okay?

Ah-na Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:18am
post #5 of 22

Thanks guys I'll try to do it 50/50 and let yawl know how it goes!! Do you think I should have the bottom part be hollow or not??

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:38am
post #6 of 22

I do mine in fondant..I cut a strip of fondant and close it forming a circle and then I cut a square and add glue the circle to the square and let it dry..
Ta-da!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 22

I also need to make one. Only the "hat" part is going to be half of the wilton "ful" ball pan. I guess I would need to use foam board, but I am not entirely sure on how to cover both sides. It will be sitting as the "topper" ontop of a 6" cake stand to with two tiers underneith.

Julisa Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 22

I also need to make one. Only the "hat" part is going to be half of the wilton "ful" ball pan. I guess I would need to use foam board, but I am not entirely sure on how to cover both sides. It will be sitting as the "topper" ontop of a 6" cake stand to with two tiers underneith.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julisa

I'm doing this too... Can we just make from a 50/50 mix and let it dry a few days?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:46pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julisa

Actually I just "frosted" my foam core board.... just slathered it on, first one side..... let it crust, turn it over and do the other.....and use the Viva towel to smooth it....

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 22

I did it just like you would wrap a package cause I wanted it to look real on the back too. I rolled a big piece of black fondant with tylose and then flipped it over and folded in the sides. Trimmed them to triangles that almost met in middle and the folded in the ends. The I trimmed the ends pieces so the barely overlapped and met in the middle. It ended up looking very cool.

lalakelley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalakelley Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 22

Here are 2 different patterns, use candy melts for the cap and fondant for the tassle and either BC or fondant for the button that holds the tassel on...

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/patternlocator/patterns/celebratewithfondant_112b.pdf

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/patternlocator/patterns/pb1998_49b.pdf

Julisa Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

I did it just like you would wrap a package cause I wanted it to look real on the back too. I rolled a big piece of black fondant with tylose and then flipped it over and folded in the sides. Trimmed them to triangles that almost met in middle and the folded in the ends. The I trimmed the ends pieces so the barely overlapped and met in the middle. It ended up looking very cool.

You didn't use any foam board? This sounds simple enough, my only worry is that I am in a SUPER humid area and I am worried that it won't dry. I have had some thin letters (cut with FMM tappits) drying for 5 days with the fan on high, and they are still to soft to handle and paint.
Thanks for your input. It does help and give me an idea of what to do.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:18pm
post #14 of 22

I made Mine in Gumpaste...I live in florida ...it dries well as long as you dont do it last minute.
Edna

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:23pm
post #15 of 22

In Florida (very humid) as long as we use 50/50 gp and fondant-it will dry pretty hard. I'll be making one and I plan to use a fondant covered square of board, and a circle made of a fondant strip. After both are dry then I'll glue them together with gumpaste glue.

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:32pm
post #16 of 22

i made mine with wilton's mini ball pan and then cut a square in fondant and let it dry for a few days.

Ah-na Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:43pm
post #17 of 22

Awesome! Thanks guys! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ah-na Posted 28 May 2008 , 10:41pm
post #18 of 22

Well I finally finished the cake....I would post the picture on here, but I don't know how icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Anyways it's in my photos. Thanks for sll your help guys!!!

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:08am
post #19 of 22

I need to make a cap, I don't have the mini ball pan, would a muffin pan work?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:34am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutbsv

I need to make a cap, I don't have the mini ball pan, would a muffin pan work?

Do you have a small Pyrex or stainless steel bowl?

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:38am
post #21 of 22

I don't think so, but I'll double check. I do have the sports ball pan, but that's pretty bigicon_sad.gif

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:32am
post #22 of 22

After several failed attempts I used a 9 oz clear plastic solo cocktail cup and covered the outside with fondant. It was very lightweight. For the mortarboard I used an old square tupperware type top that just happened to be the right size and covered both sides with fondant and stuck to cap just with water. Used fondant for tassel on top. Looked pretty good. IMO It came out just the right size for my top 6" layer. My cake is posted under graduation cakes if you need clarification on how it looks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%