Freezing Cakes That Have Been Covered In Fondant?

Decorating By JensAddiction Updated 9 May 2008 , 12:53pm by JensAddiction

JensAddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JensAddiction Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 5

Wait...I thought that was a no-no. But I'm reading the label on my brand-new tub of Satin Ice and it implies that I could freeze a cake after it's covered. If so, how long will it be okay in the freezer?

4 replies
gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 5

I want to know. too!!

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 5

I had a made a cake and as I was going away I delivered it a week early for my aunt to freeze. I got my advice here from a cc'er. I wrapped the cake in plastic them foil. when needed I let my aunt know she should take the cake out remove foil but leave the plastic on so the condensation will be on the plastic not the cake. Bring to room temp before removing plastic. she had no problems with the cake. I intend to do the same for my birthday cake . make them up ahead of time, then when I need them bring them out and assemble.

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 5

I have never been an advocate of freezing cakes covered in fondant but I guess it is possible. The defrosting part can be tricky and you would have to be sure that any filling you use can also be frozen. If the cake gets any condensation, it will leave shiny spots and streaks. I would think a lot of the success you have would depend on the relative humidity and temperature in your home. Alan

JensAddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JensAddiction Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 5

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about (condensation). It's pretty humid where I live.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%