Sole Provider Of Cake ?

Business By moreCakePlz Updated 7 May 2008 , 6:41pm by CoutureCake

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:10am
post #1 of 10

It has been interesting reading the recent posts about the "Sole Provider of Cake" clause, but I was wondering how many people actually include it in their contract? Is this clause just for wedding contract or for every sale? I buy a lot of cakes (6 this month alone) and I've never had a bakery insist that they be the sole provider of cake at my event.

I understand some of the reasons given for including the clause in a contract (liability etc), but in all honesty I wouldn't agree to the condition. I would give the decorator my "thanks but no thanks" spiel and take my business elsewhere. Why? I typically buy two cakes for larger events: one fancy decorated cake (almond or chocolate) that everyone will like, and one that is the extra special favorite of the guest of honor (bread pudding, fig cake, creamy custard, praline cheesecake, dobage, carrot cake, etc). If I signed the Sole Provider clause I would no longer be able to get my grandmother tipsy on rum drenched bread pudding purchased from her favorite restaurant, and who in their right mind wants to deny a 104 year old woman her rum pudding?

Carol

9 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:38am
post #2 of 10

Carol,

I believe that you have a valid point, as it applies to your needs.

I know of several cake artists, both high-end and average-priced, who include this clause in their contract.

The reason they have is also valid, as it applies to their business. Their reputation relies on the quality of the product they serve.

Example:

I do a small wedding cake for a couple. They also plan to serve kitchen cakes from the nearby chain market. There is always going to be at least 5 people per 100 who will assume the slab cake is made by the same baker who made the wedding cake.

Now, if the quality of the slab cakes is not good, than those 5 people will reflect that quality to the quality of the actual wedding cake, and if they tell two friends, and then they tell two friends, it grows exponentially, and dangerously to me. It will drive my business away faster than it took me to bake the first cake I ever made.

Therefore, I humbly respect your opinion, and your reasoning, even though I might not agree.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:54am
post #3 of 10

I would have no problem with a cheesecake or bread pudding (eventhough I think it's nasty icon_lol.gif ) or another plated type dessert being served with my cake.. just not another cake. Tarts.. cream puffs.. chocolate dipped strawberries.. no problem.. just not another cake. People are going to assume that the cakes were made by the same person.. and I don't want my name associated with anything but my product.. now I do mostly wedding cakes so this is not usually an issue for me.. but I just had to inform a client (birthday cake) that I wouldn't be able to make her cakes if she was planning to have extra sheet cakes from the grocery store to make up for servings. She was completely okay with it when I explained to her my reasoning.. mainly liability for me.

Can I assure that it won't happen anyway?? No.. but if I see them there.. I will walk away with my cakes. So I do see your point, but from my point of view it's a completely valid clause to have. icon_smile.gif

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I would have no problem with a cheesecake or bread pudding (eventhough I think it's nasty icon_lol.gif ) or another plated type dessert being served with my cake.. just not another cake. Tarts.. cream puffs.. chocolate dipped strawberries.. no problem.. just not another cake. People are going to assume that the cakes were made by the same person.. and I don't want my name associated with anything but my product.. now I do mostly wedding cakes so this is not usually an issue for me.. but I just had to inform a client (birthday cake) that I wouldn't be able to make her cakes if she was planning to have extra sheet cakes from the grocery store to make up for servings. She was completely okay with it when I explained to her my reasoning.. mainly liability for me.

Can I assure that it won't happen anyway?? No.. but if I see them there.. I will walk away with my cakes. So I do see your point, but from my point of view it's a completely valid clause to have. icon_smile.gif

Totally agree.

I do respect the OP's opinion.

But I'm with the PP's, I have a clause in my contract as well. I even say in my contract that if there are other cakes at the venue that the cake will not be delivered and all money kept. I have never had a bride not sign that portion of the contract, they completely understand.

I have done weddings that have dessert buffets that had various things brought in by family (cookies, candies, fruit, etc), which I have no problem with....as long as there are no other cakes.

Something else that I do...I don't make sheet cakes as my kitchen cakes. I only make square layered cakes that are torted like the wedding cake.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

Something else that I do...I don't make sheet cakes as my kitchen cakes. I only make square layered cakes that are torted like the wedding cake.

This is my policy too. icon_biggrin.gif

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Carol,

I believe that you have a valid point, as it applies to your needs.

I know of several cake artists, both high-end and average-priced, who include this clause in their contract.

The reason they have is also valid, as it applies to their business. Their reputation relies on the quality of the product they serve.

Example:

I do a small wedding cake for a couple. They also plan to serve kitchen cakes from the nearby chain market. There is always going to be at least 5 people per 100 who will assume the slab cake is made by the same baker who made the wedding cake.

Now, if the quality of the slab cakes is not good, than those 5 people will reflect that quality to the quality of the actual wedding cake, and if they tell two friends, and then they tell two friends, it grows exponentially, and dangerously to me. It will drive my business away faster than it took me to bake the first cake I ever made.

Therefore, I humbly respect your opinion, and your reasoning, even though I might not agree.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I understand the OP opinions as well. But I think PWS really made a good visual of why some bakers require this. I completely agree about having that clause in there. It can be very, very damaging to a business.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 10

does anyone know where that original thread is.......I searched for it for like an hr. yesterday with no luck!?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

does anyone know where that original thread is.......I searched for it for like an hr. yesterday with no luck!?

I'm not sure but maybe this one???

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=585636&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 10

[quote="aswartzw"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Maybe this one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-200221.html

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 10

I also have the clause in my contract, but I word it in such a way that if they're up front with me about wanting something from another bakery and the other stuff is coming from a licensed baker that is going to deliver themselves (basically limiting out every big-box store around here because NONE of them will deliver), and tell people more than anything else, I just want to KNOW ahead of time... OTOH, I'm also INCREDIBLY flexible and reasonable for this market (I have a larger sized slice than every baker around here - I don't do wedding slices). If they want Grandma's recipe chocolate cake, I'll price it out for them with the request that Grandma help me out with some of her specifics (like how she measures, is she one exact measurer or is she one who tsp. should really mean tbsp.).. Because of being up front with them about the clause they've been up front with me for cases where this is involved. It's one of those things that the clause is in there for cases where they order a wedding cake to serve 40 because they're on such a tight budget, then show up at a very posh reception site and there is aluminum pan sheet cake to serve 400. OTOH, if they're up front about it and tell me ahead of time what they're doing, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it as long as that photo cake isn't being served to ANYONE other than the bride/groom...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%