Cosada (Sp) Cake?????

Decorating By MissChrissy Updated 8 May 2008 , 2:51am by MissChrissy

MissChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissChrissy Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 8

Ok so I have a bride that wants a cosada(sp) cake for her rehersal dinner.....problem is I have never heard of it. She said its like an Italian Wedding cake. Have any of you heard of this kind of cake?? icon_confused.gif

7 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 8

i googled it, and it's spelled casada. try googling it and you will see several sites with recipes. Ive never heard of it before today =)

MissChrissy Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 8

I tried to google it and apparently there are THREE different ways to make the cake! My customer is from Ohio and says its very popular there.....

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 8

i would probably contact the customer and ask her which preparation she is wanting. there's no harm in that =)
Crissy

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 8

around here we say Cassata and it's a yellow cake layered with strawberries and sprinkled with almonds...

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 8

I am from Ohio...it is a white or yellow cake with a layer of custard and a layer of strawberry filling iced in whipped cream. I am doing one for tomorrow but using my cheesecake filling:
Sorry guys....could not find it. This has to be refrigerated as well as any cake you put it in. Makes about 3 cups cake filling and keeps 2-3 days in fridge. Can be made ahead and frozen (that and rebeat before using).

1 small Pkg Jello Instant French Vanilla Pudding
1 Envelope Dream Whip
1-1/2 cups light cream
4 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese softened
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp Knox unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water

Pour powdered pudding and powdered Dream whip into medium bowl and add the light cream, blend on low speed with electric mixture until blended. Switch to high speed and beat 6 minutes scraping down sides occasionally with spatula. Add softened cream cheese and vanilla and beat another minute. Pour 1/4 cup water into small saucepan and sprinkle gelatin over it. Stir and the let stand for one minute. Heat gelatin mixture over medium heat until gelatin dissolves and mixture thins ad turns clear. DO NOT allow to boil. Remove pan from heat and set aside for a few minutes and allow mixture to cool off a bit. Don't let sit too long-it will begin to gel after about 10 mins. or so. Pour gelatin mixture into pudding mixture and beat thoroughly, scraping down sides of bowl for 1 minute. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. When ready to fill cake mix with mixer until nice and creamy. If too thick add a little bit light cream until desired texture achieved. TIPS: recipe can be doubled-use a large bowl. Flavors develop when sitting over night. If cake you are filling is crumbly, pipe filling between layers and spread with knife dipped in hot water. (Recipe courtesy of Carol Chisholm.) Delicious, creamy, not too sweet and sturdy enough now to squish out from between layers. ENJOY!!!!!! Pat in OHIO (I use the strawberry filling by the "CakeLady" on www.ladycakes.com. If yu need help with whipped icing ask [email protected]

judylynnturner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judylynnturner Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 8

I would definately call her back and ask her what she had in mind. Tell her you have several different versions of the cake.

Here are a few ideas:

ITALIAN CASADA CHEESE CAKE

2 lbs. fine Ricotta cheese
28 eggs
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 box citron
1 (8 oz.) bottle maraschino cherries, chopped and drained
1 (13 oz.) Hershey bar, grated

Combine with electric mixer eggs and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add Ricotta; mix thoroughly. Add Hershey; mix again. Pour into greased springform pans (2-8 inch or 1 large pan). Drop in citron and cherries; sprinkle cinnamon on top. It will make its own crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 2-2 1/2 hours. Check with tester until not wet in middle.

PINEAPPLE CASADA

1 box yellow cake mix
1 sm. box instant vanilla pudding
1 sm. Cool Whip
1 (8 oz.) cream cheese
1/2 c. chopped nuts
2 lg. cans crushed pineapple, drained

Mix cake as directed on box. Mix pudding while cake is baking and refrigerate. Soften cream cheese and beat with mixer. Mix pudding and cream cheese together, put on top of cooled cake. Put on drained pineapple, then put on Cool Whip and top with nuts.

CASADA CAKE

1 pkg. yellow cake mix

FILLING:

2 lbs. Ricotta cheese
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 to 1 c. miniature chocolate chips
1/2 to 1 c. chopped filberts
1/4 c. each red and green candied cherries

FROSTING:

2 c. whipped cream, whipped with 1/4 c. powdered sugar

Prepare cake according to package directions, baking in bundt pan. Remove cake from pan. When cake is completely cool, slice into 3 layers.
For Filling: Combine Ricotta cheese, sugar, almond extract, miniature chocolate chips, chopped filberts, and candied cherries. Spread mixture between layers. Frost cake with whipped cream, whipped with 1/4 cup powdered sugar.

MissChrissy Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:51am
post #8 of 8

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%