Baseball Cap Tutorial?

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 11:04am by SweetResults

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 12

Is there a baseball cap tutorial here or anywhere else online? I can't remember if I had one or not...and I can't use my computer at this time icon_mad.gif

The cake is for tomorrow...so I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off or not...

Thanks

11 replies
sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 12

I have never seen one, but they reassured me it was very easy....mine looked awful but I didn't have enough fondant so that was the biggest thing. Hope you find one, I will have to save it!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 12

What pan did you use?

I guess that is my biggest thing!

I don't know whether I should use the doll pan and carve it, or the ball pan & carve that, or just regular round cakes and carve those??

(It also didn't help that I had a last minute order yesterday that took up most of my day & my computer is not working & my printer is out of ink, and...and... - sorry, didn't mean to start venting LOL!)

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 12

I just did one yesterday and it was so much fun! I used 1/2 of the ball pan and put that on top of a 6" round. Covered them w/b.c. then with fondant. Mine wasn't pretty, but it was the fondant's fault! I tried a new recipe and obviously should have stuck w/MMF. I made a pattern from my son's ball cap for the bill, just pressed it flat on a pc of parchment, then traced it. Then, I put it on top of the bill and traced where it actually meets the hat. then I trimmed it up and made another pattern. I then cut one out of the fondant. I tried another last nite and it turned out MUCH better. I used MMF w/a tad of gumpaste in it and it held up much better. I also put one of the patterns on top of the real ball cap bill, then after making the stitching lines on the MMF, laid it on top of the parchment to dry. It held its shape beautifully (sp?). One thing on the cake, using the ball pan, I had soaked the bake even strips to use on the 6", and by chance used one around the very top of the ball and it made a HUGE difference in the cake. The one that I didn't use a strip on was really crunchy around the edge and domed in the middle. Sorry this is so long, hope it helps!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 12

ALLEE THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I just went in my kitchen and looked at the ball pan and thought, ok, that is way too small! But with a 6", that'll work!

And I will definitely use the bake even strips!

Thank you so much for your help!!!! Maybe I can pull this off, he he icon_smile.gif

No need to apologize for typing a lot - your instructions are very clear and you've helped me out SO MUCH! thumbs_up.gif

Did you post your pictures of your cake yet? I was so happy to read this, I just clicked reply before I checked your photos! LOL

I will post my pics whenever I can get my computer back!

THANKS! icon_biggrin.gif

allee Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 12

You are welcome, I'm just glad I could finally help someone one here. Usually, I am the one asking a zillon ?'s on how to do something! I didn't post photos of my cake. The fondant looks horrible. I tried the jello fondant, but obviously didn't execute it correctly, lol! But what it lacked in looks, it made up for in taste. I just sat down and ate part of the leftovers for breakfast! I used berry blue jello and it was quite tasty! Can't wait to see your cake!!

allee Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 12

Ok, so I tried again and it turned out much better! Thanks for all the tips!
How did yours turn out??
LL
LL

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 12

Very cut allee!! With your instructions I might try this one day.

THANKS!!

allee Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 12

It's really not that hard, I mean, I did it and the guys on my son's baseball team thought that it was a real hat! (of course, they are "males"! lol) But it was fun. I used the other half of the ball pan for a baseball, its in my pics!
Allee

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:51am
post #10 of 12

Also - the book by Elissa Strauss - The Confetti Cake Cookbook - has a great step by step baseball hat. I made 3 hats last week, 2 are in my pics. One with the duffel bag and one with the basketball hoop. One more to post when I can find it.

I used 2 8" rounds and carved them down, then iced them with some extra frosting underneath, that way when I add the fondant I can shape the wrinkles in the hat more.

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:32am
post #11 of 12

Can I do it with 8" round cake and half ball cake instead of 6" round??? I want to make a little bigger cake that'll feed around 20 people??
Please help!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:04am
post #12 of 12

I think you could use the 8" round and half ball, but I'd just go for the 2 8" round stacked and carve away at it - maybe even throw part of the half ball on top for good measure, I've done that before as well. Then you should have enough cake. If you have the mini-ball pan then maybe you could even make a few baseballs to go with it if you are concerned about servings?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%