Flavored Syrups In Cake Batter And Frosting?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 7 May 2008 , 2:20am by MacsMom

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:45am
post #1 of 8

i just got hazelnut and french vanilla syrups and i'm excited to use them.

can i put them in the cake batter or just in the frosting? how much should i put? am baking chocolate cupcakes with BC frosting and i'm thinking it might be cool to use the hazelnut for it.

thanks!

7 replies
fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:18am
post #2 of 8

Syrups? Or do you mean flavored oils like Lorraines? If you are going to use the syrups i would mix it with the water or liquid that you add to the cake. When you say syrup I think of like Torani syrup for italian soda?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:51am
post #3 of 8

yeah like that. it says on the label it can be used for coffee and teas and drinks.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 8

Well then what I would do is mix it with the water. I am just thinking it will be overly sweet. You can do the Lorrianes Oils which are awesome!!!!

I dont know the baking art, like I have a recipe where I take a cake mix and put in a can of manderine oranges with the syrup and mix it, but you dont follow the mix instructions, instead you add more oil and an extra egg or someting. I am sure you can do it, its just that you have to know what to supplement the recipe with..like maybe you can add more oil?

I am sure it would be good, I would just be afraid that it would be too runny if you add too much of that, cuz you would have to probably put like 4 tablespoons or even more to actually taste it in the cake. Know what i mean?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 8

Yes! It adds great flavor variation. I use caramel flavor for a caramel cake.

Chikie also wrote this (we havebeen recipe swapping):
"I added some Torani Caramel syrup and brown sugar to some Frostin' Pride and squeezed some ice cream caramel topping in it, but I didn't whip the ice cream topping in, I wanted it to have ribbons of caramel in it. It tasted really good!"

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 8

Yep, you can sub out some syrup for some of the water in the recipe but it won't make a strong flavor. Better yet, use it as simple syrup after the cake is baked. It can also go into fillings and icings. My bakery has an espresso bar as well w/ like 70 syrups. Talk about options!

chikie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikie Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Yes! It adds great flavor variation. I use caramel flavor for a caramel cake.

Chikie also wrote this (we havebeen recipe swapping):
"I added some Torani Caramel syrup and brown sugar to some Frostin' Pride and squeezed some ice cream caramel topping in it, but I didn't whip the ice cream topping in, I wanted it to have ribbons of caramel in it. It tasted really good!"

I made it again, but I mixed Vanilla pudding in first with the Frostin' Pride, then I mixed Brown sugar with a little water to disolve it, added that and some Torani syrup, last I ribboned (Sp?) in Caramel.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:20am
post #8 of 8

I'm dying to try that, Chikie! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%