Can You Use Whipped Cream To Ice A Stacked Wedding Cake?

Decorating By aminaz Updated 6 May 2008 , 8:34pm by Trixyinaz

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 16

in my community they find fondant too sweet and the usual crusting buttercream to thick and sweet too. most that i talk to want an icing that is light, creamy and not too sweet. but they also want fabulous designs for their wedding cake. the other alternative i can think of is whipped cream. but can i smooth it?pipe designs and borders? color it with food coloring? stack cakes without making a mess?
other than whipped cream is there anything else someone can suggest that i can use?
hope someone can help! thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
aminaz Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:02am
post #2 of 16

i posted this topic yesturday but no reply, hope someone can help today!

tania9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tania9 Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:36am
post #3 of 16

I'd be interested to know too. I always peel off my fondant, and scrape away the buttercream lol

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:42am
post #4 of 16

The white chocolate buttercream recipe in the recipe section is very good, not too sweet... it does crust, however it must be placed in the refridgerator in order to crust, there are also directions on how to make it so you can decorate with the icing.

I believe any of the cream cheese icings are not going to be as sweet.

If you look at many walmart cakes, they are what you can do with the whipped cream frostings. I have this problem with my husband, he does not like the sweet icing - so when I make cakes for him, he gets the stabilized whipped cream or whipped cream frosting....

I hope this helps a little -- I'm sure some of the vetrans know more ....

vjred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vjred Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:55am
post #5 of 16

before getting the right consistency in royal icing and buttercream, i used the MCPHIE whipping cream in the store and its either beside the youghurt, cheese or whipping cream on the freezer. it has color red and white tetra packaging. it's so easy and light. it decorates the cake so well, as if you are also using buttercream but if you overbeat it, it creates bubbles, so be careful of overbeating it...

aminaz Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:47am
post #6 of 16

has anyone stacked acake that is frosted with whipped cream?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:40am
post #7 of 16

have you tried the whimsical bakehouse's house buttercream? it's very light and not too sweet. it doesn't crust but you can smooth it with a hot spatula.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:55am
post #8 of 16

YES!!!!! My mom (totally not a cake decorator) used the whipped cream icing from Sam's club on my brothers wedding cake, FABULOUS! Looked great (she dabbles in cake decorating, better than the average). The only problem, if you could call it a problem, was that it had more than alot of air bubbles. But no one really noticed and certainly no complaints on the taste. If you need a picture of it I can scrounge it up and email it to you. It's lovely, 4 tiers.

I hope that helps!
ginger

candee2300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candee2300 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:58am
post #9 of 16

If you want a not so sweet buttercream, but is heaven to eat-use Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It is very easy to make and use. It is better than whipped cream icing any day.

gingersoave Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 16

oh, I forgot to mention, she put cornelli lace all over it, that helped hide any air bubbles. I found the pic, I will try and scan it in.

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:04pm
post #11 of 16

The cake store near my house sells bettercream. It comes in a refrigerated carton like milk does. You just put it in the mixer and mix until it's the right consistency. It's a lot like whipped cream, but more stable. I've never tried to stack a cake with it, but I know you can pipe with it, color it, and I've made roses with it by adding a little powdered sugar to it. Hope this helps.

gingersoave Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:16pm
post #12 of 16

here is the pic, hopefully it will work
LL

gingersoave Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:17pm
post #13 of 16

sorry about the picture, you can't really see the icing, but it is doable, I promise, I helped her ice it!!!!

Good luck! Let us know how it works out!

ginger

aminaz Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:48pm
post #14 of 16

thanks ev eryone for your help and thanks for the picture! if i do use whipped cream do i need to add anything to it or is it just whipping cream? like do i need to stabilise it with anything?

gingersoave Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 16

You buy it at Sam's Club or Costco already made in 15 lb buckets. I also buy mine at the grocery store by the pound and it is the same. You can color it, make roses, borders etc....

good luck!

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:34pm
post #16 of 16

You can use Rich's Bettercream. You can buy that at Sam's club already whipped or at GFS in liquid form and whip it yourself. I LOVE the stuff and it can sit out for 5 days without being refrigerated after you decorate it (or was that 5 hours icon_lol.gif ). I think it was 5 days, but no cake lasts that long in my house anyway! You can't get it smooth like fondant or a crusting buttercream, but you can get it pretty darn smooth. Check out my Bounce House Ice Cream cake to see how smooth I got it. The cake is frosted and decorated (borders) with Rich's Bettercream. The writting and transfer are buttercream. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%