Icing A Dummy Cake????

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 6 May 2008 , 2:49am by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 10

Okay Guys, How do you icing a dummy cake with BC icing?? A girl at Wal-Mart said that her display cakes were dummy cakes with BC icing, Hard as concrete. i want to do one for our fair this year im doing the Grooms cake i did Saturday, by the way i want to thank each one that responded to my topic about what to do with the Margarta Glass or Martini ever which one it was i did the sq with the rd on the top, basket weave, with monogram the glass was what held the round ? It was a huge sucess, Thank You Thank You, anyway please let me know if BC is what you use on the dummy cakes?? and what to expect when doing one of these.
Thanks

9 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 10

i have never heard of buttercream getting that hard. icon_confused.gif i use fondant.
she may have added something to hers. icon_confused.gif

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 5 May 2008 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 10

She must have added a excessive amount of meringue powder to her buttercream...no idea, really. Just a thought.

I've covered mine in fondant and some are almost 4 years old and have never looked better. I have a large glass cabinet that I keep them in so there's no dust.

Good luck whatever you do.

Wanda

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 5 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 10

Out of curiosity...do you put anything on the dummy before covering it with fondant??

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 10

Well, there's PermaIce. It looks and goes on like bc, but hardens like concrete. it is not edible.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 10

i teach wilton... i have a dummie cake here, that i teach in course 11.... the basketweave one with the bird and royal icing flowers.... i cover a oval cake dummie, the size of the cake in course 11.... i cover it with press "n" seal. no blow dryer or anything to heat it.... just use 2 pieces... one piece goes one way ... the other piece the opposite way ... just press it really good. i then piped the basket weave ..then the rope ... then the flowers and bird. i use the white wilton buttercream, with the meringue....just like the recipe says. i have had it covered for 6 months or so. i take it back and forth as i teach that class, to show the students how their cake will look. it still looks great. some people use crisco on their dummie cakes under fondant.... some spray it with light mist of water.... some use piping gel... i have done all three. they all work great.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 10

You really don't need to waste your Meringue Powder or buy PermaIce. Regular Buttercream icing will work just fine and, ask IndyDebi - it hardens like a rock. It dries out eventually and just gets hard. You can keep them for months - just wash and reuse - Super Easy! Good Luck!

Tammi

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroskoski

just wash and reuse - Super Easy!
Tammi

Wash and reuse what? You lost me with this comment.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 10

The cake dummy...

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:49am
post #10 of 10

Thanks to all, I covered a little mini wedding cake (dummy) in fondant and i used pink on it it has discolored really bad i made a shoe for the top and it was pink now its really faded I was wondering how long it takes for the icing to dry, i havent entered a dummy cake in anything wonder if they cut points if all the decorations arent edible ?? Like one year i put silk roses on the mini wedding cake i did, just wondering what to look out for.Any tips would help me a lot since i have no ideal on how to do this i guess you just treat it like it was a real cake??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%