Sugar Printing?? How??

Decorating By Bigbearswife Updated 6 May 2008 , 5:45am by all4cake

Bigbearswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bigbearswife Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 5

I want to include the USMC seal, the NAVY seal and mu husbands Unti Logo on his Iraq Homcoming Cake, but i know i am not artistic enough to draw them. how can i get them onto the cake. I've heard of Sugar Printing on paper that you can eat but i have no idea on how to do this.


4 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 5

Glad to hear that hubby is coming home thumbs_up.gif I dunno about sugar printing - could edible images be what you're thinking about? You can print anything on frosting sheets with edible ink - or have a local bakery or Wal-Mart print them for you. Also, check out First Impression Molds - miscellaneous page down toward the bottom. They have molds of military insugnias that make beautiful 3-D seals.

But, you'll still need to get an image of his unit logo.

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:21am
post #3 of 5

Bigbearswife....Congratulations on your husband coming home!!! I know that you want the cake to be special! As ibmoser said, I think that you are talking about an edible image. I have an edible image printer, but was inquiring at Sams the other day about what they will do with edible images. They only make "cake size" edible images. You could put several pictures on one of each image that you want... Example: a USMC picture, a picture of the Navy Seal, and a picture of the logo of your husbands unit. I would take it to Kinkos are somewhere that you could get a GOOD color copy of all three on one page. Then take that copy to Sams. They will print it on an icing sheet (they told me) for $4.00. That's very resonable! Then you can cut each one out and place it where you want it on the cake. You can do that now and place it in an air tight zip lock bag, and it will stay good until you want to decorate your cake. If you have any questions, I will be glad to try to help you...just PM me. I want this to turn out wonderful for you!

ibmoser.....Thank you for the link....that mold will be perfect for me to use to make cookies for my little nephew (USMC).

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:33am
post #4 of 5

I'm so happy for you that your hubby is on his way home! Congrats! Please give him a big thank you from me for his service time!

As for his cake, I don't know how involved the images are, but if you don't want to go with the edible images or can't get hold of the materials needed (i.e. the printer and no one around you does them), you can order the frosting sheets and edible markers and do it that way (draw onto the frosting sheet carefully, put the sheet on the cake and then gently paint in the colors either with the markers or thinned down gel colors. There's also the option of FBCTs or Choc. Transfers.


all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:45am
post #5 of 5

If unable to do the edible images, maybe you would be able to do a frozen buttercream transfer?

Save the images to your puter. Open them separately via your image program(assuming you have the above). Enlarge images to the size you would like. Then reverse the want a mirror image or backward image. Print them.

Tape printed images onto a piece of board/cake circle. Then tape a piece of waxed paper on top of that large enough to cover entire image.

Then, with icing colored to match, outline and fill in areas of the image.

place entire piece, board and all in freezer. when ready to decorate, remove images, one at a time from freezer. Invert and position on cake. Remove waxed paper. Continue with next image....

No drawing skills needed.

Just a thought...

Quote by @%username% on %date%