Gumpaste Flower Question Help!!

Decorating By the cake whole Updated 6 May 2008 , 6:44pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

the cake whole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the cake whole Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif

I am new at this cake decorating/design thing and have spent my weekend playing with gumpaste and am very happy with the results. I was wondering what product to use to glue the gumpaste or fondant together. I purchased wilton "glucose" and it seems to be working. Any ideas for a beginner????

12 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 13

I take one of those really small Tupperware containers and put about a teaspoon of merringue powder and enough water to make a syrup. This is the glue I use. Just pop the lid on and give it a shake. Then I can make it fresh in small batches and it doesn't cost a fortune.

Did you post pics of your flowers? I have been a bit obsessed with gumpaste lately too and it is a lot of fun! Especially dusting them with colors and stuff icon_wink.gif

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 13

At a class I took last year they had use take a little bit of water in a small tupperware and add a little bit of gumpaste, let it dissolve into the water and use that as a glue...(I think it is in the wilton books)

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 13

I just use icing to glue it on!

mrsbink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbink Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 13

I've always used the gumpaste dissolved in water and it works great!

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 13

Hi, there! I usually dissolve a pea size amount of gumpaste in about a tsp of water and use that as the glue. Haven't tried the meringue powder but I've noticed it referenced a few times when I've searched for gumpaste flower instructions.

By the way, any of you know where to find patterns for a lily (don't have time to purchase cutters)?

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 13

I use tylose and water, put it in a small air tight container, shake it up, and leave it overnight and it forms a wonderful very strong glue. Also known as petal glue.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 13

Any and all of the above can be used. When I took my Wilton course the instructor just used water. I usually use the small piece of gp in water, but the other day I tried for the first time the Tylose powder in warm water and it's thicker and, to me, more of a glue-like consistency, so I think I'll be sticking with that from now on.

The 'recipe' is 1/2 teaspoon to 2 Tbsp of hot water. Stir, then cover and give a swirl/little shake and refrigerate overnight. Use for a week, then dispose. Got this from Aine2 - another member here.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 13

I also use Aine2's edible glue. Here's the link!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 13

I now use Lorraine's glue (Aine 2) recipe for most things, still use Vodka for a couple of things but never ever do I use water.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 13

I forgot to mention vodka! I use that sometimes too, but nothing beats the edible glue IMO! thumbs_up.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 13

I like to use Tylose and water. It's made a little bit thick so as to adhere quickly. Just don't use too much. This will cause the gumpaste to dissolve or ooze out of place and then color can't be added to the piece. Although it leaves a shiny mark on the flowers, it doesn't work to make a shine overall. At least is hasn't for me.

HTH

Michele

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 13

Oops! I have to correct myself. I said previously that my Wilton instructor used water as glue, that should have been piping gel. icon_redface.gif Guess I was thirsty when I was typing that! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%