Gumpaste Hibiscus Flower

Decorating By LisasCakesNM Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm by redpepper

LisasCakesNM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisasCakesNM Posted 4 May 2008 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 11

I need to make gumpaste Hibiscus flowers, and I do not know how to make them. Can anyone help with how to make them or tell me a place where I can? TIA!!!

10 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:23am
post #2 of 11

I bought the Wiltons Flower Gum paste kit it shows you how to make different kinds of flowers

Molly2

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:13am
post #3 of 11

Look in the "Sketches" section of the gallery... Someone posted a how to, but it's in spanish... I learned a lot from looking at the pictures... Maybe it will help you too...

Good luck,
Pat

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:53am
post #4 of 11

Hi Lisa,
I just taught myself how to make hibiscus recently. Super easy!
If you have a 5 petal rose cutter, that works great. If not, try the 3 petal rose cutter from the Wilton gum paste kit and make two sets of petals. Cut off one petal from one set, leaving you with 5 petals total.

So cut the petals out, ruffle the edges of each petal with a ball tool. Overlap each petal onto the next and set in a egg carton, shot glass or tin foil cup to dry. Paint the petal center and up each petal with luster or petal dust.

To make the stamen: roll a log of fondant/gum paste about 1-1/2" long. You can make small snips in the top section with small scissors or tweezers OR insert the premade yellow stamens ( from the packages) into the top section. Curve slightly. Let dry.

I rolled a small log of fondant/gum paste and shaped it into a circle to put in the center of the petals. This little ring will hold up the stamen so it stands upright.

To assemble, I used gum glue (Tylose powder and water). Glue the circle to the center of the petals, then glue the stamen into the circle.

Hope that helps!
KimAZ
LL

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:10am
post #5 of 11

I have made them.. they aren't hard at all. I have a pictrure in my photos. I use a rose petal cutter and my flower is wired.

To make the center you roll out a rope of gumpaste so the tip tapers down a bit and then thread some wire into it. Stick some trimmed stamens in the tip and allow to dry in a slightly curved shape. Then cut out your petals and stretch the point out a bit to elongate it. (I used an individual rose petal cutter that is tear drop shaped and you elongate the point a bit) Then wire the petal and ruffle the edges and dry them so that the front face of your petal curves in a C shape away from you. So if you were looking at the top of the petal it should curve back slightly. Once they are dry you can dust them and then arrange them around teh center with floral tape. HTH's a little and if you have any questions let me know. icon_smile.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:24am
post #6 of 11

They look amazing and you guys make them look so easy to do. Thanks!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 11

Here is a link I found also, http://www.toppartyideas.com/hibiscus-sugarpaste-flowers/

Also here is another site that has wonderful info and pics, http://www.duskyroseveiners.co.uk/page_1511102.html

I came across these while doing a search myself on how to make them for a Luau cake I might be doing.

Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Sharon

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:11am
post #8 of 11

scratch love you flowers, can you give me the gumpaste recipe, and what did you use to get so many ruffles on your hybiscus, Thank you

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #9 of 11

wow i love the second site so many tutorials

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 11

The Dusky Rose site is wonderful!

redpepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpepper Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you ALL!!!! I was also searching how to make a hibiscus after not much success with mine. I used the tear drop shaped rose cutter but it didn't look quite right. The links are GREAT!!!! I'm gonna go play now, Thanks again everyone I love this site! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%