How Much For These Cupcakes, And A Moral Dilemma

Business By DoniB Updated 6 May 2008 , 5:40pm by cakeiteasy

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:01am
post #31 of 36

Girl. I got a lotta things on the cheap (relatively) for my bakery....check into used!

How much luckier can you get than having a handy dad?

My place is kinda small....we did all the work besides the plumbing ourselves and saved a ton of money...it may not be as far away as ya think!

COME UP WITH SOME MORE COOL BUTTERCREAM STUFF!!!! YOU ROCK!

ps. theres a "castle" in my town...all this month they have a medevil thing going...with jousting and other stuff.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:09am
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

Girl. I got a lotta things on the cheap (relatively) for my bakery....check into used!

How much luckier can you get than having a handy dad?

My place is kinda small....we did all the work besides the plumbing ourselves and saved a ton of money...it may not be as far away as ya think!

COME UP WITH SOME MORE COOL BUTTERCREAM STUFF!!!! YOU ROCK!

ps. theres a "castle" in my town...all this month they have a medevil thing going...with jousting and other stuff.

My dad is an HVAC contractor, and has the knowledge for electrical and plumbing. (He was licensed at one time for both, in both NC and SC, since they live so close to the line that he was working in both states) icon_smile.gif He'd actually be capable of directing us in the work, and I don't *think* you have to have too many permits if you're doing the work yourselves, on your own home. I'll have to check into that. He's a great guy to have around when you need walls moved! LOL And he has a good friend that's a retired architect. If I needed one to sign off on any plans, I've got one available, and he'd do it for free, just 'cause he likes me. icon_lol.gif

The carport is only 17.5'x12.5'. I've been playing around with graph paper... even looked up the dimensions of all the stuff I'd like/need, and made little graph paper pieces of those, so I could arrange them to my liking. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm working on a list of things I'd like to make up in buttercream. I'll have to make up another batch of cupcakes and icing, and play around some tomorrow. icon_wink.gif I like the fondant and RI stuff that people come up with, but when it all comes down to it, I'm a buttercream kinda gal.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:30am
post #33 of 36

icon_lol.gif You sound like me.. with the graph paper and (somewhat) scale models.. icon_wink.gif

I hope that you can make this happen for yourself. icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:40am
post #34 of 36

Very cool cupcakes icon_biggrin.gif If you really want to convert your carport over, and don't have the extra cash. Every time you get a couple of $$ go buy some 2x4s. I would dble check regs on doing that though. Good Luck hey at least Dad is on your side.

Mike

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:32pm
post #35 of 36

I'm a buttercream girl too!...i like that things can be done so fast, and i think it may be a dying art....so many are concentrating on fondant now.

mike i do that too!!...picking up a few things every week!...i love it!....my lil bungalow is almost finished after doing this for awhile...and i don't owe any money...i 'm gonna start on the building that i bought to put the bakery in soon....i love not owing money!...and after it's done,,,,NO RENT ON A SHOP!

cakeiteasy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeiteasy Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #36 of 36

I am having the same dilemma! I never even thought about legality, I have catered ( I am a chef by trade) when people have asked me too, I never advertised maybe that is the difference. I am no longer cooking but baking and I LOVE it! I live in Canada on a small province so the rules are probably different. However, I really don't want to go to the expense of legalizing myself until I can make it a go. I mean when you go to womens institutes and such, who is making that potato salad? and where? and how have they stored it? haha never cared and still don't because it's delicious. As long as you are not making custards and perishable fillings etc, and you should absolutely know the the safety of food( courses are available everywhere). I think I am trying to convince myself and not you..lol... Oh dear,..... I Love love love you cupcakes! I wish you the best of luck tell me us how it turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%