Anyone Have Fat Daddio Pans Vs. Magic Line

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 8 May 2008 , 11:05pm by dandelion56602

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:05am
post #1 of 25

I have the Magic Line square set of pans - 4", 7", 9", and 12" and wanted to supplement with some even sizes. I checked out the Global Sugar Arts site but they only carry Fat Daddio pans. I noticed it said the edges were slightly rounded for easier fondant application so I am wondering if anyone has these pans? Are they as good as Parrish or Magic Line?

Also, I already have a 12" square and the set I wanted also had a fat daddio 12" - will these line up because if I have two of one size, I would want to be able to use both layers on the same cake. Will they match up, do you think?

Also, are the round ones similar to Magic Line? Forgive me if I sound anal retentive but I am looking at ordering $150 worth of pans so I will cry like a baby if they don't work, lol. thx icon_smile.gif

24 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:30am
post #2 of 25

I have a collage of pans (Wilton, Magic Line, Fat Daddios). I personally prefer the Fat Daddios. I have both square and round. Even though the square corners look rounded for some reason the cakes come out with crisp pointy edges.

As for the size I do think there may be a minor difference in the sizes between manufacturers, but it is not a noticable difference. I know I have two different 10 inch pans. So when I stack them I just go around the cake with a knife and even it up.

I am in the process of converting to all Fat Daddio's.

Maybe you could just purchase one and see how your cake bakes up for you.

Good Luck and Hope this helps.

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 25

are the Fat Daddio's pans as thick as the Magic Line?

pjaycakes Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 25

I think so Magic Line is 14 gauge and Fat Daddios are 16 gauge if that helps. It is really hard to tell. Fat Daddios are pretty thick though.

I heard from someone else on here awhile ago if you email them at [email protected] they will mail you a free pan (I think you have to be a retailer interested in selling there product. But hey give it a try.

CakeDiva73 Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 25

Is anyone familiar with both and give us some reviews? I really want to place this order (or not, lol icon_sad.gif ) depending on if they are worth it or not. I am having trouble finding Magic Line so I was going to get a ton of the Fat Daddio pans...

Just leary about spending a mint and then hating them - thanks!

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 25

I have fat daddio's and magic line and I like the magic lines much better! The fat Daddio's are lighter and I don't think they bake nearly as well. The magic lines are worth trying to find. I got mine from a local cake store. They didn't carry them in stock, but they ordered them for me. If you have a local store try asking if they can order them for you. Hope this helps.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 25

check f o n d a n t s o u r c e . c o m
They have a huge selection, and Fat Daddios are on sale

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 25

I have mainly Magic Line and I much prefer them! I was forced to buy a 9" round Fat Daddio's when my store started to switch over, and there was a slight size difference between it and my Magic Line. Also the cake pulled away from FD pan more so than the ML, creating more of a difference. It can be corrected with icing I suppose, but I still prefer Magic Line.

The store has since kept the Magic Line brand, as well as Fat Daddios.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 25

I have both. For the round Fat Daddios work, but for the square I prefer the Magic Line b/c I like the sharp corners. I figure if I need to round the edges for fondant I can trim, but I HATE building up icing on a rounded corner. But I've never tried to match up layers from 2 different brands.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 25

I much prefer my Magic Line. I find them crisper and they bake nicer IMO.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #11 of 25

Oh Boy, I'm glad I came across this thread because I was going to start ordering Fat Daddio pans soon and also wondered about what the company says about the corners being round, Thanks you guys icon_smile.gif

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:14am
post #12 of 25

I did my first (and so far only, but hopefully not for long) square small tier cake with the fat daddio's pans, and I thought they lined up very nicely, and certainly for my first attempt with buttercream, i found I got a pretty sharp edge, even though they have "rounded" corners. I the rounded-"ness" of the corner is so slight that I really don't see them being a problem. Even if you have to "add extra icing" it's what... maybe 1/16th inch per corner? It's not rounded like a wilton or baker's secret pan where there is alot of hassle.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:18pm
post #13 of 25

I bought the Fat Daddio's square pans, and at first I did not like them at all. The corners/edges were not straight and crisp. They appeared rounded and squished, for lack of a better word. It seemed like the corners did not rise like the rest of the cake. I resorted back to my Wilton pans. However, I started testing the Fat Daddio's again, and had to manipulate the batter so that it covered the corners adequately. The cake batter doesn't want to settle in properly for some reason. Now my square cakes come out better and look much nicer than the Wilton. I may try the Magic Line to see if I get better results.

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:27pm
post #14 of 25

I have the Fat Daddio's 11x15 and a Magic Line 12x18.
The Magic Line is a full 2" deep but the FD is a bit less than 2" which really bugs me!!!
I will replace with Magic Line soon!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:28pm
post #15 of 25

I have both Magic Line and Fat Daddio and a few other odd brands. Hands down Magic Line is the best. I will not buy another Fat Daddio pan as I consider them quite inferior. There was another thread a few weeks ago where the poster loved the Fat Daddio pans and told us than the company recommends that they be used at no hotter than 300. Well, that makes them even more useless to me. I load up my oven when I'm baking and having one or two pans that require special handling makes them worse than useless.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:28pm
post #16 of 25

There was recently another post on the same topic so it may help to try and find it.

I think Magic Line hands down. I baked two of the same size cakes with the same batter, etc.......... The fat daddio was too brown for my liking and the magic line was perfect. They looked the same until I popped the cakes out of the pans.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:31pm
post #17 of 25

good to know! Thanks for the info!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:10pm
post #18 of 25

Both Amazon and Country Kitchen carry the even sizes of the Magic Line square pans. I have never tried Fat Daddios so I don't know how good they are. Pans are much too important and expensive to try unfamiliar brands. Also 14 gauge steel is heavier than 16 gauge which makes me think that Magic Line should have the edge. However the slight rounding of the Fat Daddios corners might make them easier to clean.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #19 of 25

It seems that the most of you CCer's like Magic line better. I think that i'll have to try those first !

CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:23pm
post #20 of 25

Well cr*p!! I am just getting ready to place this huge order with Global Sugar Art. Their shipping is really, really good - I am ordering a bunch of stuff and about 23 pans as big as 18" and the shipping is $40.......I can't beat that.

I can barely find Magic Line sets in all the shapes and sizes that I need and when I do, the s/h is outta site! Does anyone know where to get them? I need the even square set, 18" square, 2 9" round, 2 12" round, 14", 16" & 18" round and st GSA I was going to get the Fat Daddio petal set and hex set too...... would rather get them in Magic Line and all at once to help out with the s/h cost....cripes!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:58pm
post #21 of 25

I went to Country Kitchens web site and put together an order which i think matched yours. The total before shipping and taxes was $152.50. Which was then given a volumn discount of $15.25 (I never order enough to qualify for that) which made the pre-shipping and taxes price $137.25. You have to fill in the address etc, to get the shipping cost.

Oops! I went back to country kitchen and the price of shipping would be about $25.00. It was listed on the discount info page.

pjaycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:09pm
post #22 of 25

I was just at Country Kitchen also and ordered some pans. They seemed to have all the Magic Line in stock.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:15pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I can barely find Magic Line sets in all the shapes and sizes that I need and when I do, the s/h is outta site! Does anyone know where to get them? I need the even square set, 18" square, 2 9" round, 2 12" round, 14", 16" & 18" round and st I was going to get the petal set and hex set too...... would rather get them in Magic Line and all at once to help out with the s/h cost....cripes!

I ordered my magic line pans from www.intotheoven.com
They have GREAT prices and really reasonable shipping.. even to Canada where I am. I had to keep watching though to order all the pans I wanted at one time because often they are out of one size or another. Because I have to pay a flat rate brokerage charge for customs I wanted to do it all in one shot.
They also have great prices on first impressions pearl molds and creme bouquet. My order was shipped the same day I ordered. I have been very happy with my pans and from what I have heard would not consider switching. I have two 14" square magic line pans my BIL gave me. His dad was a cake decorator... the pans are probably 30+ years old and are still perfect.

CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:26pm
post #24 of 25

In the oven was out of several of the important sizes I needed so I hit the back button, lol. I am currently at Ultimate Baker and have found every single size I need with reasonable shilling and a 10% discount.

I think I will open another page and see if country kitchen is a better deal - thank for the tip. Looks like I am going to skip on the Fat Daddio pans - I have ML already and love them so why change?

On a side note, I want to be prepared for potential wedding cake orders (pending licensing icon_smile.gif ) so here is the run down on pans...do I need an 18" square? I will end up ordering a 16 but the 18" is another $32 dollars and I am tapped out so if I don't 'need' it, I would like to try to avoid getting it.

Rounds:

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20

Squares:

4.5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16

and much as I would like to order the Hex and Petal set, all I can find it in is Fat Daddio (or Wilton, which I despise) Should I take a chance with the Fat Daddio only in those specialty sizes and stick with ML for rounds and squares or skip the funky shapes altogether?

Thanks again for your help and input, everyone...you saved me icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:05pm
post #25 of 25

I would take the "chance", I use Fat Daddio's for my round & haven't really had a problem w/ them. If you need them or will use them often then go for it. I can't find that anyone else makes them. I wouldn't buy Wilton if someone gave me the money & told me I had to!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%