How Far In Advance Can I Do Bc Roses I Need 12 Dz!!!!!!

Decorating By angela35 Updated 3 May 2008 , 1:56am by indydebi

angela35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angela35 Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 12

i'm making roses cakes in florist boxes and i need to make 12 doz of these cakes who soon can i make them and whats the best way to store them icon_confused.gif

11 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 12

You can make them ahead and freeze them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 12

Bc roses last a long time. Let them air dry - do not freeze them. (Compare it to the many many threads in which FBCT are discussed and the advice given is "work fast because it starts to melt almost right away". Well, the same is true for roses made of the same kind of icing!)

Air drying also allows the moisture to evaporate, leaving the rose a much lighter-weight. When I make mine in the morning, I can pick them up and throw them across the room by afternoon.

Once they are dry enough to handle, I'd store them in a box ... sheet cake box, for example, (so they are covered and won't collect dust. icon_biggrin.gif )

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 2 May 2008 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 12

Do they have to be buttercream? If you can consider royal icing roses so you can store them easily.

angela35 Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 12

thanks for the tips they don't have to be buttercream i could do royal its just that for some reason i have i harder time with ri roses!!!!!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 12

It must depend on the type of icing you use, Debi - I use an all-butter buttercream and they *never* get that hard (kind of why I like it) icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 May 2008 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I can pick them up and throw them across the room by afternoon.

And how might you know this??? Did you test it out??? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I was going to say that I have made some up weeks ahead and let them air dry. They'll keep a long time if they're kept dust/light free.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 12

Had this exact same issue a few months back.

I had about 10 dozen mums that had to be done for a wedding cake last fall. I don't work with royal icing unless I absolutely have to so I chose to use air dried buttercream.

I used the "Snow White Buttercream" recipe from the Wilton website. I don't normally use that recipe but heard it worked very well for air dried buttercream (and it did). I just used regular Crisco for it (I use high ratio and a completely different recipe for my regular icing)

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/snow.cfm

I made all of my mums on little wax paper squares and then put them on cookie sheets to dry.

After they were dry (they don't take long...maybe 24 hours max), I put them in clean, disinfected egg cartons to store them. It worked absolutely perfect!!

I did my mums about 10 days before the wedding, it's my understanding that air dried buttercream does not last indefinitely like royal so I wanted to be on the safe side.

CakesByBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByBabycakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 12

Here is a link to a recipe for air-dried buttercream:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2278-Airdried-Buttercream-Icing.html

angela35 Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 12

oooohhh great thanks what would we do with out our friends!!!!11

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 12

Air drying also allows the moisture to evaporate, leaving the rose a much lighter-weight. When I make mine in the morning, I can pick them up and throw them across the room by afternoon.

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif how funny!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:56am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I can pick them up and throw them across the room by afternoon.

And how might you know this??? Did you test it out??? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Actually, yeah we did! icon_lol.gif Daughter was helping me and she needed one more rose. "Mom, hand me one more rose." I said "Here, catch!" and soft-ball pitched it to her. Of course the look on her face was hysterical! But she caught it and it went on the cake! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%