Key Pieces Of Equipment Needed For New Biz??

Business By Atan Updated 2 May 2008 , 11:50am by indydebi

Atan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atan Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:29am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!

I'm shopping around for equipment to outfit our new commercial kitchen. HELP! What does one get when you're just starting out and have little capital? What basics should I concentrate on?

Thanks in advance!!!

2 replies
CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:10am
post #2 of 3

A lot of this is going to be dictated by your state and your inspectors... It sucks but that's the reality..

Go new on:
Oven
Refrigerator/freezers (there's one brand that is NSF but isn't stainless, and NSF is primarily what most inspectors are looking for... without the thing being stainless cuts the price from $7000 each piece to $1200 each piece... OTOH, there are other advantages to stainless!!!

Go used on:
Everything else! The used restaurant equipment market is flooded right now. You can purchase hand sinks for pennies on the dollar at a restaurant auction ($7-$30 for a $100 sink).. I also found my mixer by knowing someone in charge of equipment for a large bakery that wasn't using something as small as the mixer I needed. It needs a paint job, but for $300, can't go wrong!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:50am
post #3 of 3

State and HD required items first. Be sure to check to see if you need a grease trap. (That was an extra $1000 expense my kitchen designer and I overlooked!)

storage. I need more shelves and storage already!! Factor that in your design. A bakers rack. Not only great to vertically stack cookies and cakes for cooling, but it's also great storage for your baking sheets when they're not in use.

When you buy your stainless steel tables, decide if you need the kind with a bottom shelf (for add'l storage) or the kind with no shelf so you can roll your flour/sugar bins under them (I have one of each).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%