Covering A Cake With Textured Fondant

Decorating By debo_04 Updated 5 May 2008 , 1:51pm by LetThereBeCake07

debo_04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debo_04 Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 15

Ok, everyone, I really need some help here. I've been asked by a friend to do her wedding cake...........I don't do wedding cakes, but since she said it was just an informal country wedding and I could do what I wanted I figured what the heck........Now I'm in big trouble. I looked on the internet and saw this really cool "leather look" cake and thought I'd try it for this cowboy country wedding cake. I found the textured plastic table cloth at our local Hobby Lobby, did a test run on a small piece of fondant, painted it and it came out FANTASTIC........the bride was absolutly in love with the idea of covering the cake with "tooled leather".....now that I've been thinking about it I'm FREAKING out! I have never covered a cake with a textured fondant!!! How do I smooth the sides with it being textured already when I put it on??? If I take the fondant off the leather background and place it on the cake there will obviously be wrinkles/folds that I can usually work out with my hands or a fondant smoother but not if I don't want to lose my texture.........eeaakkk..........any ideas? icon_confused.gif I am really starting to panic, hope somoeone out there can help!

14 replies
matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 15

ok, so I don't know if I can help as I have never done this, but I was wondering if you could try to make the impression after the fondant was already on the cake. Or does it need to be rolled out on the material to get the effect? Also if this does not work there was someone on here who did a western cake for a wedding. I t was I think three tiers with what was a belt around each tier with the leather look. The bottom tier had a belt buckle.

Janice

kandypa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandypa Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 15

I did a castle with the stone pattern in fondant.....you probably don't want to hear this....but VERY GENTLE hands! Yes some of my smoothing caused the texture to fade, but with any other imperfection I covered it. And it made alot of it to look natural. I'm not sure what else will be on the cake. Most of my problem came near where the borders would be anyway. I hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

psanders76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psanders76 Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 15
debo_04 Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 15

YYEESS, matwogirls, thats the cake I'm trying to do, but with textures on it. I found it once, but couldn't find the pic again when I needed it. I did a belt for the middle layer that will not be textured.

Nope, can't do the impression afterwards, it takes quite a bit of pressure to make the "leather" look in the fondant. I did it that way with BC but I wasn't impressed with the end product so I'd really like to make it work with the fondant.
I'll try again tonight to "gently smooth" some that I have textured and see if it works. THANKS Y'all

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 1 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 15

Excellent post! I've always wondered the same thing. I do wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see what the cake turns out looking like.

debo_04 Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 15

psanders76 - LOVE THE LINK!!! geez, does he make it look easy or what! Wish I had a computer in my kitchen so I could stare at that over and over while I'm doing mine. It looks so easy when he does it I'm starting to feel better already!

matwogirls Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 15

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-580014-buckle.html

This is the link to the forum with that belt buckle cake. Thought you may want it.

Janice

debo_04 Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks Janice, that was nice, but I lied.....that isn't the one, I don't know where I saw that picture, but it had actual boots on it (ceramic maybe). A base of rope, three layers of BC covered cake (one with the belt) and then the boots and a final 6" top cake. If I find it I will post it. Thanks again, I appreciate seeing another idea!!..........just in case!

matwogirls Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 15

ok, so this is my last try LOL

http://www.cakechannel.com/images/sue24.gif

debo_04 Posted 2 May 2008 , 12:30am
post #11 of 15

No, Janice, thats not it either. Close though....LOL.....your a great investigator! I have the picture saved, but I looked all afternoon after you found the last one and for the life of me I can't find where it came from. I tried flickr.com, here, did internet searches on the .jpg name........came up with nothing. I't probably from some obscure bakery somewhere and now I can't give the decorator props for her work! Lesson learned, never save a pic with out the web site name somewhere on it!!! I do appreciate the help, that one is even better than the last! I wonder if that is fondant it is covered in.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:22am
post #12 of 15

i have never done this but did watch a demo, the used a textured rolling pin on the fondant while it was rolled out on the counter, lifted it onto the cake then used a piece of foam to press it onto the cake, whereyou would normally use your hands.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:43am
post #13 of 15

i use the foam method when I am working with textured fondant also. Try this and see if it works for you

debo_04 Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:19pm
post #14 of 15

O.K. Just wanted to say thanks so much for all of the advise, ITS OVA!!! The cake was a success - of course I'd certainly do lots of things differently and make lots of improvements now that I see the finished product in photos, but I couldn't have done it with out you all and your tips! Thanks BUNCHES! I'd love to put a link in here to my photo, but don't have a clue how so if you'd like to see it I have uploaded the photo and some others on my page.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:51pm
post #15 of 15

foam? what kind of foam? where do you buy it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%