Not Sure About This Business Purchase.

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 1 May 2008 , 11:22am by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:47am
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for a little advice from CC'ers. I'll be licensed fairly soon for a homebased business. I'm trying not to go overboard buying supplies and stuff beyond basics at this point, since with no "cake income" yet, I have to consider if I can have my spare cash sitting on a storage shelf while I wait to hang my shingle.

Well, I found a woman who wants to sell her round gold finish 21" dia. cake stand for $50. You know, the pretty kind with all the raised scrollwork? Well I'm dying to buy it, even though I figure I'll be starting out on birthday and dinner party cakes.

Do you all think this would be a wise investment for possible wedding cakes that may come my way? Or should I just pass on this and when the time comes that I need one, find a stand then? I've seen these on Ebay for around $100+/- so it seems like a great deal.

Thoughts? Thanks!

4 replies
MissMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMoore Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:51am
post #2 of 5

If you can afford it now, I'd definitely buy it! You know for sure that you'll need it in the future and if you don't get it; you'll be kicking yourself when that wedding cake does come along. This way you'll be prepared!

mjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjcakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:10am
post #3 of 5

I haven't seen any gold stands around. Most of my brides want the silver and I found them at Efavormart but had an awful experience with them...they have the cheapest but I hated doing business with them! Don't know...maybe a matter of preference but I personally would put the $ towards something that you know would be rented from you. I have recovered the cost in only 3 wedding cakes. I charge $40 for rental. Hope this helps!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:45am
post #4 of 5

after i got busy renting items became a PIA...people really know how to tear your stuff up...

they can rent these types of things at the party supply store.

i'd get something that pertaned to decorating...

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 1 May 2008 , 11:22am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your replies so far! I guess I'm having a hard time passing up a bargain. icon_biggrin.gif I'll have to think about this and contact her later today...

I'd only seen silver too for a long time; she had what looks like an Autumn themed cake in her pic w/ reds, pumpkin orange and golds on the cake. The gold stand looked pretty in that theme.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%