Betty Crocker Cake Mix - Lumpy!

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm by janebrophy

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever found the BC cake mix to be lumpy? I've always had lumps in the batter, but they've always disappeared while baking...lately they haven't been. Should I be using a mixer, instead of just a wooden spoon? Maybe sifting it first? Help please!! icon_cry.gif Oh yeah, this is only with the white cake???

5 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 6

Yes you can sift it first, or put in in the mixer and mix on low until the lumps are gone - just a few minutes.

janebrophy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the reply, I don't know why this is happening all of a sudden? I'll be sure to sift the next batch, I've got these puppies baking all day today! Thanks again!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 6

If you have a whisk, you could also try that to break up the lumps!

Happy Baking!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 6

Someone here (I think Indydebi) said to sift the box mix before you use it. Last time I made a box mix, I tried it, and it only took about a minute to mix everything together.

I know when I bake from scratch (which is most of the time) I sift EVERYTHING - makes for a better texture.

Once you've sifted it and have the lumps in the bottom of the sifter, just use a spoon to break them up and push them through.

janebrophy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 6

icon_surprised.gif Wow, I've sifted the choc and the white, and not only did it get rid of the lumpy bits, it's changed the texture of the batter completely! (In a good way I think icon_wink.gif ) The chocolate cake even smells more chocolatey! I'm impressed! Definitely makes the box look, smell, and hopefully, taste more like a scratch cake. Thanks again for the tip! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%