Do I Ignore This?

Decorating By SugarBakerz Updated 16 May 2008 , 1:00am by Curtsmin24

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 22

I was taught to do cakes (well shown her icing recipe and how to bag and star point... that is the "depth" of her teaching to me) by my SIL... she does them only for her kids... 3 years ago when she "showed" me this, I took the ball and ran with it... went to all wilton courses, learned online, joined CC.... opened my own little custom bakery out of my house.... A while back she asked me how much I charged for the purple (really tilted) whimsy in my gallery... I told her the amount and asked why? She said "XOX at work wanted to know because of her DD's birthday", later on that day she called and we chatted and she said XOX wouldn't NEVER PAY that much for a cake... fine by me. Now let me say this... she being my SIL star points and smooths icing only.... she hasn't had any courses and doesn't do anything but her kids... until now... she slipped up the other day and says XOX asked me to do a polka dot cake for her daughters birthday, we need the money anyway..... my question, do I say anything or let it slide? I am not threatened by her work at all because I know I do things she can't or won't... but it just bites my southern arse.... to know she is taking my biz for lack of better terms.... I am the only licensed and legal home baker in this city and it just makes me madder than fire to have her tell so an so my price and then make something less involved and get paid for it... any suggestions?

21 replies
ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 22

I don't have an answer for your question, I'm just curious about something. I live in Alabama also and was told by our Health Department that home based businesses were not legal. How were you able to get licensed?

SugarBakerz Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 22

because I got licensed through the environmental agency at the health dept. I have a completely separate kitchen out in my detached garage that is up to code with the HD....

SugarBakerz Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 22

where are you in bama?

electrica77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
electrica77 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 22

Just my opinion, but....

I would let it slide. If the lady wasn't willing to pay the price for a proper cake, then your SIL isn't really stealing your business. Perhaps her friend is on a budget and didn't realise how much it would cost, and having found out would still like something nice, but down scaled somewhat? Your SIL is probably helping her out, making a few quid (dollars!) for herself, and she probably didn't want to offend you by telling you that was what was going on.

If your SIL started doing this regularly, I might question it, but it would look a little churlish to say something to her about it I think, as she did try to pass the business your way originally, and might do again with other friends.

Keep her sweet!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:18am
post #6 of 22

icon_twisted.gif Depending on your relationship with your SIL......

"I'm glad to see you starting this up! Now when I get someone who wants a plain, cheap cake, I'll be able to send them to you!"

But then.... I tend to take the smart-a$$ approach to things! icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #7 of 22

Love ya Debi!! icon_biggrin.gif

I would let her know that it isn't legal for her to do that.. not that you would tell on her, but let her know what could happen if she gets caught. I doubt lil'Miss star points is going to hurt your business.. but I'd hate to see family get in trouble if I hadn't said something that might save them from that. If they choose to do it anyway I did my part. icon_wink.gif

babyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyqueen Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:37am
post #8 of 22

I would let it go, because I bet you that the customer has a vision of the quality she will get, and then may even end up wishing she had paid you, to have the job done right.
I has a friend who forgot to call me and tell me to make a cake, then was told by someone else they could do one, and they arrived with a garbage looking cake in a pie container! Needless to say, they regretted not using a pro.
Just see this thing through, and then see how you feel. You might end up looking good in all of this. Not to say your SIL can't bake, but after seeing yours they might have certain expectations that can't be met by her.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_twisted.gif Depending on your relationship with your SIL......

"I'm glad to see you starting this up! Now when I get someone who wants a plain, cheap cake, I'll be able to send them to you!"

But then.... I tend to take the smart-a$$ approach to things! icon_rolleyes.gif

lmao....thats hilarious...this sounds so much like my SIL..she always trying to copy..But then she cant copy my cakes..I used to make free cakes for my niece and I got too much attention from people for the cake so now she is buying them at walmart..People are starting to see what a b#^&t she is tapedshut.gif
I say let it slide...things happen for a reason...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #10 of 22

Well, if it were MY SIL... I'd be the one calling the health department 'anonymously' to turn her in... but then again my SIL is an evil (please insert the worst curse word you know!).

Since there is a good chance that you have a better relationship with your SIL, I think I'd let it slide for now. Like someone said, if it becomes a pattern, or if you find out she's 'advertising you' as 'too high priced' in order to get people to pay her to do a simple cake, then I'd say something. Of course, in the future if she calls to inquire about the price of something, I'd tell her, "Well it's going to depend on several factors, the best bet is going to be for them to call me directly so I can give them an accurate quote!"

Good luck, and don't let it get to you! Like you already know, your skills are on a whole different level. My Mom acts kind of jealous of me sometimes because she is the one that taught me in the beginning, she was just self taught, doesn't do much, knows nothing about fondant and all that, but I went searching and learned all this cake stuff that puts me in a whole different class of skill. Once in a while she gets a little green. It's ok though. We still get along! And she's a great help when I need it!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:52am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Well, if it were MY SIL... I'd be the one calling the health department 'anonymously' to turn her in... but then again my SIL is an evil (please insert the worst curse word you know!).

Since there is a good chance that you have a better relationship with your SIL, I think I'd let it slide for now. Like someone said, if it becomes a pattern, or if you find out she's 'advertising you' as 'too high priced' in order to get people to pay her to do a simple cake, then I'd say something. Of course, in the future if she calls to inquire about the price of something, I'd tell her, "Well it's going to depend on several factors, the best bet is going to be for them to call me directly so I can give them an accurate quote!"

Good luck, and don't let it get to you! Like you already know, your skills are on a whole different level. My Mom acts kind of jealous me sometimes because she is the one that taught me in the beginning, she was just self taught, doesn't do much, knows nothing about fondant and all that, but I went searching and learned all this cake stuff that puts me in a whole different class of skill. Once in a while she gets a little green. It's ok though. We still get along! And she's a great help when I need it!!

lol Melvira...mine is evil too!...

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:25am
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakerz

I was taught to do cakes (well shown her icing recipe and how to bag and star point... that is the "depth" of her teaching to me) by my SIL... she does them only for her kids... 3 years ago when she "showed" me this, I took the ball and ran with it... went to all wilton courses, learned online, joined CC.... opened my own little custom bakery out of my house.... A while back she asked me how much I charged for the purple (really tilted) whimsy in my gallery... I told her the amount and asked why? She said "XOX at work wanted to know because of her DD's birthday", later on that day she called and we chatted and she said XOX wouldn't NEVER PAY that much for a cake... fine by me. Now let me say this... she being my SIL star points and smooths icing only.... she hasn't had any courses and doesn't do anything but her kids... until now... she slipped up the other day and says XOX asked me to do a polka dot cake for her daughters birthday, we need the money anyway..... my question, do I say anything or let it slide? I am not threatened by her work at all because I know I do things she can't or won't... but it just bites my southern arse.... to know she is taking my biz for lack of better terms.... I am the only licensed and legal home baker in this city and it just makes me madder than fire to have her tell so an so my price and then make something less involved and get paid for it... any suggestions?

This is the same thing that Chaps my behind when people call me to find out how I price, then turn around and quote a cheaper price for a less elaborate cake.

I too feel they are taking the food off my table and it's not legal to bake from home here.

Ugh!

But, it's your SIL. IF she comes at you again with this nonsence, just tell her nicely that if and when she gets lic. you will be more than glad to send her your simple cakes when you're over booked. lol

This is giving her a one two punch. lol

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 1:33am
post #13 of 22

You remember the old adage: "Do not do business with your family and/or friends"... there is a lot of truth to that, due to the fact that you are only an authority when "you get 20 miles from home". Your sister-in-law sounds envious with very low self esteem. You know that it is easier letting others find out for themselves what you already know about her, so just chalk it up to those things that happen in business (and with family and friends).

Do not report her. You are taking energy away from your business and no one wins when that happens. Family is too important to have something as simple as eggs, sugar, and flour to get in the way, even if it is your business. Ask those who have no family.

Be the bigger person. Make bigger and better cakes... have the local newspaper come and do an article on your business since you are the only licensed baker in town. That will be the way to get out who is the professional. You can let everyone know that you get "exactly for what you pay".

We all feel for you, but get over it... you know you are better (as well as your SIL), and that is all that matters. Do the right thing; put your energy into your cake business. We will be your cheerleaders!!!!

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:19am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Be the bigger person. Make bigger and better cakes...
Do the right thing; put your energy into your cake business!

AMEN! thumbs_up.gif

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:21am
post #15 of 22

OK, completely detached, that makes sense now. I thought you meant your home kitchen. I'm in Tuscaloosa. Where are you? I'm trying to sell the house we're living in now so we can buy one with a basement or carport to convert into a bakery.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:39am
post #16 of 22

Personally,I would let it go. It sounds like whoever needed the cake can't afford a professionally done "proper" cake so they went with a person who could do very basic things and probably charged 1/4 the price. That being said ....it would have been nice if your SIL was upfront and told you right away that "so and so" can't afford a professional cake like yours and asked me to do a simple one and I hope that is OK. By not telling you it just seems sneaky. People can be so odd, good luck!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:22am
post #17 of 22

Yah, I'd let it go. Chances are she's trying to impress someone and she'll get her fill doing this one cake. Loved Debi's advice though. If nothing else you can scare her out of her notion of the "cake business" but telling her you'll refer the simple jobs to her.

My little sister is also my SIL, and is often the same little brat she was when we were kids. Ya just want to smack her one!! Grr.........LOL Of course I wouldn't, but I HAVE told her I was considering it.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 4:06am
post #18 of 22

I can totally understand your anger here. I'm angry for you! I agree with SueW, people are so sneaky these days. But just think about it this way, her cakes are amateur compared to yours! Anyone can star tip, but your cakes involve much more difficult techniques and designs. It's a great feeling knowing your work is superior to someone else's, well at least IMO. icon_smile.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 12:39pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

", later on that day she called and we chatted and she said XOX wouldn't NEVER PAY that much for a cake... fine by me. Now let me say this... she being my SIL star points and smooths icing only.... she hasn't had any courses and doesn't do anything but her kids... until now... she slipped up the other day and says XOX asked me to do a polka dot cake for her daughters birthday, we need the money anyway.....

I'm wondering how much profit your SIL thinks she's going to be making from this cake anyway? She's doing it for someone who's an admitted cheapskate, and she's not in business, so I find it doubtful she's ever sat down and priced out her ingredients, supplies, and time. And as those of us who HAVE done those things have found out, the cost of making a cake is appalling (especially with food costs rising the way they are), and a decent profit can only be made if you are very careful about accounting for your time. You didn't mention any $$ amount, but I'm wondering if your SIL just said "$20" off the top of her head (or $30...whatever), but has no idea how much money she's going to spend or how much time she's going to spend on it. I just find the two statements of "XOX would never pay that much for a cake" and "she's going to buy it from me, and I need the money" to be at odds.

I wouldn't say anything to your SIL, but I understand how you're irritated, I would be too!

SugarBakerz Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:04pm
post #20 of 22

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. The person purchasing the cake is very well off and I don't think she ever told SIL to ask me for the price, I think she just did to see what I was getting for stuff. Oh well.... I think you all were right saying let it be.... if it happens again I won't let it go though. This SIL says she is my BF, but only has time for me on her time and has now buddied up to XOX.... so WHATEVER.... I don't need people like that. I agree I think I will call the paper and have them do a story, that would drum up great biz and reallly tork some hiney around here... thanks everyone, you have been great!

SugarBakerz Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #21 of 22

just an update.... SIL showed me the cake for XOX.... it was not that great looking at all.... the concept could have been better too. I know if this had been a cake I had done, I would have made it look MUCH better than that. I think now XOX knows what she can expect so she might consider calling me next time anyway... again thanks to you all for your support and encouraging words. I have become so busy the last week or so that I don't have time to worry over SIL any longer!

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:00am
post #22 of 22

thats good!! I was going to say that karma is a sweet thing and when I have moments like this I tell myself " karma is a bit#!" and keep repeating it while I think of the mean things that I could do to get payback. I have a similar relationship with my sis " she only calls when she needs something, or on her own time" so I feel where your coming from. Life can be funny sometimes, just laugh and enjoy the better moments. Oh, and please try to post your newspaper article!! I would love to see it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%