Fondant Embosser Or Imprinter?

Decorating By judyPH Updated 6 May 2008 , 4:54am by joy5678

judyPH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyPH Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:11am
post #1 of 17

I love how this cake was done... This one is by Ron Ben and i've seen a similar effect on a cake in Martha Stewart's Weddings magazine....

Question is... did they use an embosser, imprinter, impression mat to create the small quilt effect? Where can i find this tool?

Thank you.

Judy
LL

16 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:19am
post #2 of 17

Looks to me like it could be the light cover pattern. If you go to Home Depot or similar store.... look for a florescent light cover...they are long, rectangular and plastic. They have this pattern on them. Here's a cake I did with that pattern on it. No fancy equipment needed! Just a plain ole light cover icon_smile.gif

Hope that helps!
Jen icon_smile.gif
LL

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 17

Thats a great idea never would of thought of it, thanks!

judyPH Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:38am
post #4 of 17

Thank you Jen!

Could it really be the light cover? This pattern seems to have "deeper" and more pronounced recessions. Here's the close up...
LL

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:39am
post #5 of 17

I noticed the other day in a cake shop that there is an Ateco rolling pin sleeve which would produce an effect similar to that.

https://www.atecousa.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=18404&Category_Code=fondt&Product_Count=9

JenniferMI Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 2:59am
post #6 of 17

Gee, it's darn similar! Not sure.... maybe they just pressed deeper?

Not sure....

Jen icon_smile.gif

JacqueOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JacqueOH Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:12am
post #7 of 17

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was non-skid shelf liner.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/nadshelf_padding.jpg

Could they have had a mold made from it, I wonder?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:48am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqueOH

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was non-skid shelf liner.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/nadshelf_padding.jpg

Could they have had a mold made from it, I wonder?

That is exactly what I thought! Or the bathmats. I have one hanging in my guest bath. Looks like they made a pattern from it then used sugarveil.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:19am
post #9 of 17

Yep, fluorescent light cover yields a deep pattern that looks like shelf liner and some bathmats. If it were from the shelf liner or bathmat, the bumps would be inverted (pushed in, not out).

I had a class with RB-I and he showed another cake with the same pattern. He mentioned using the fluorescent light cover to get the pattern.

Rae

JacqueOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JacqueOH Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If it were from the shelf liner or bathmat, the bumps would be inverted (pushed in, not out).

That's why I mentioned that perhaps they made a mold from it first. icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 17

I was just at the doctors and while reclining on the table I was looking up at the ceiling light, and lo and behold - it had a light cover described in this thread. And it really really looks like it does on the cake!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 17

OMG! I never thought of using a light cover!
Jen, if you have any other great advice on how to make impressions (other than buying expensive mats), fire away! icon_lol.gif

JenniferMI Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 17

You know...if you just look around you....look at things in a way that say "what kind of texture would that create"? You might be surprised what you can use!

I can't take credit for the lite cover...I'm not sure where I heard it from .

Jen icon_smile.gif

judyPH Posted 1 May 2008 , 2:51am
post #14 of 17

Thank you everyone! I'll be sure to look for that flourescent liner when i go to the US tomorrow! icon_smile.gif

Judy

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 1 May 2008 , 3:59am
post #15 of 17

I'm always on the lookout for supplies everywhere. At Hobby Lobby they have a designed vinyl material that would make a beautiful cake design. The texture is just right to press onto fondant for cake covering. Haven't tried it yet but I'm going to get about a yard & see what happens. Use your imagination & you will be surprised at what you can find.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:28am
post #16 of 17

so can someone tell me how to actually use it? Do you do it after it is on the cake?

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:54am
post #17 of 17

I would think that the best way to do it would be to roll out your fondant, lay pattern on it, roll over them both with rolling pin & then transfer to cover cake. Be sure to gently fit it to cake so that you don't ruin the pattern. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%