Fabric Ribbon On Buttercream

Decorating By jdelectables Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 4:11pm by Cake_Princess

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #1 of 14

Hi, all ~

I have a wedding cake this weekend. I am using crusting buttercream and a fabric ribbon wrapped around the bottom of each tier. How do I keep the ribbon from looking greasy from the buttercream? Please help!

Thanks,
Julie

13 replies
sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:24am
post #2 of 14

I've done it before and didn't have a problem, but maybe my fabric was forgiving and non-absorbent. My icing was pretty crusted, though.

Maybe you could test a swatch beforehand to see how it does? Or double wrap it with a thinner ribbon underneathe so that you can't see it and it is the layer against the buttercream?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:28am
post #3 of 14

I've heard people iron wax people to the back...

or adhere at the last moment

or even
spread the butter cream on the back of the ribbon to let the grease absorb into the ribbon so it won't look all splotchy

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:34am
post #4 of 14

Me too! I have my FIRST wedding cake this weekend. The bride wants a real ribbon attached, so I plan on using press-n-seal as a backing. I
REALLY hope it works!

Good luck which ever way you decide to go!

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:50am
post #5 of 14

hmm wax people? LMAO sorry that was supposed to say wax paper LOL

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

hmm wax people? LMAO sorry that was supposed to say wax paper LOL

UM wgoat5 are you with the Mafia icon_lol.gif Just joking i saw that and lol, i used to have goats i loved them Maggie was my favorite, dont have any now the babies are soo cute sorry just had to jump in icon_wink.gif

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 14

LOL I promise I don't have goats.. but hey if milk gets any higher I might consider it LMAO

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 14

I have done a few cakes with ribbon, but I did the cake and let it sit overnight to crust very well. Didn't do anything to ribbon and put the ribbon on right before delivery and never saw any grease soaking in. I use all shortening bc.

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

LOL I promise I don't have goats.. but hey if milk gets any higher I might consider it LMAO

LOL sorry i thought you did , with your wgoat5 name i had seven at one time. They were so funny

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:44pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly4481

I have done a few cakes with ribbon, but I did the cake and let it sit overnight to crust very well. Didn't do anything to ribbon and put the ribbon on right before delivery and never saw any grease soaking in. I use all shortening bc.

Sorry to jump in Shelly4481 but when you leave your cake out overnight i take it you dont cover it the reason im asking is i have to do a cake for Saturday im setting it up in the morning time 9.30 and the wedding wont be until 5.00pm the venue assures me that this isnt to long its buttercream i have never set one up this early but i have to cause im directing the wedding will it not be too dry?? icon_surprised.gif im uneasy about this but there is nothing i can do

DFND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DFND Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 14

I cut a strip of fondant the same size as the ribbon and place it on the cake first, then I adhere the ribbon to the fondant. It works very well..

marilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marilyn Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 14

I had my best results by sticking clear contact paper to the back, then cutting it. I didn't have any luck with ironing the waxed paper to wax coat it, it still soaked through.

wgoat5 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:55pm
post #13 of 14

But then couldn't you just use the fondant?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:11pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelectables

Hi, all ~

I have a wedding cake this weekend. I am using crusting buttercream and a fabric ribbon wrapped around the bottom of each tier. How do I keep the ribbon from looking greasy from the buttercream? Please help!

Thanks,
Julie

Cut a strip of wax paper and place it behind the ribbon. You can use beads of royal icing to or non-toxic hot glue to attach the waxpaper to the ribbon.

I don't recommend spreading buttercream evenly over the ribbon to absorb the grease. This will change the color of the ribbon. Even worse the dye from the ribbon could bleed onto the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%