Banana Bread-- Betty Crocker Cookbook--1970's Recipe?

Baking By cande Updated 16 Dec 2015 , 10:34pm by aliciaw51

coloradodiamond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradodiamond Posted 1 Jan 2015 , 5:01am
post #31 of 35

None of the posts are correct... for real.... the one you are looking for is as follows, I have this book.... I use ONLY this recipe PERIOD... I read the other posts they are not the ORIGINAL but this IS FOR SURE:

1 C. Sugar (white)

1/3 C. Margarine (I use I can't believe its not butter)

1 Egg

1/3 C. Water

3 to 4 medium bananas mashed and mixed with the water listed above (1/3 C.)

1 & 2/3 C. Flour

1 t. Salt

1/2 t. Baking Soda

1/4 t. Baking powder

Cream sugar and margarine, beat in egg, beat in banana & water mixture, and the dry ingredients stir until just combined. Heat oven to 350. Butter and flour loaf pan, pour batter in pan, bake 55/65 min. Until toothpick comes out clean.

**Optional add 1/2 C. Chopped Walnuts or nut of your choice when adding dry ingredients. Bake the same :LO) enjoy..... Happy I could give you the CORRECT recipe!!!!!!!!

coloradodiamond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradodiamond Posted 1 Jan 2015 , 5:02am
post #32 of 35

P.S. This recipe was on page 36/37 in that old cookbook

Neatnatasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neatnatasha Posted 15 Dec 2015 , 4:50pm
post #33 of 35

dinis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinis Posted 16 Dec 2015 , 8:19am
post #34 of 35
aliciaw51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaw51 Posted 16 Dec 2015 , 10:24pm
post #35 of 35

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your help. We finally moved back home after traveling for 4 years and got all our stuff out of storage. I found the original Banana Nut Bread recipe that I was looking for and have been baking for years at Christmas time for my family and as gifts. It is so easy and so delicious. It is from the fourth 1971 printing of Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook page 51 that I received when I got married 43 years ago! Here it is if anyone is interested…Merry Christmas!

Banana Nut Bread - Oven 350

1/3 cup shortening

1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup mashed ripe banana

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I add at least one cup)

Cream together shortening and sugar; add eggs and beat well. Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with banana, blending well after each addition. Stir in nuts.

Pour into well-greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake in 350 degree oven 45 to 50 minutes or till done. (I test by inserting toothpick as most of you do). Remove from pan; cool on rack. Wrap and store overnight. (Delicious with morning coffee)!

P.S. I was looking at the page as I typed and proof-read it as well so it is accurate. My earlier post had milk and some other differences. I don't remember where I got that recipe but I made that recipe last year since it was all I had and it was good as well.

*Last edited by aliciaw51 on 16 Dec 2015 , 10:34pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%