Banana Bread-- Betty Crocker Cookbook--1970's Recipe?

Baking By cande Updated 16 Dec 2015 , 10:34pm by aliciaw51

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 35

HI guys,
When I was growing up, my mom had a red hard cover Betty Crocker cookbook that she used all of the time. It had a red hard cover with a goldern outlined circle that was filled with colored food pictures (kind of like a medallion with different pieces of food inside of it). I think it must have been from the 1970's (the 60's at the earliest, but more likely the 70's).

Anyway, I can't find the cookbook in any of her stuff icon_cry.gif and everytime we would cook together, we would use it. I remember her teaching me how to make chocolate chip cookies and meatloaf from it...

Anyway, It had the best banana bread recipe in it, and I would like to find that recipe. Does anyone have this book, or an old Betty Crocker banana bread recipe? I looked on the BC website, but I don't think it is on there.

The recipe had walnuts as optional, and I am pretty sure it used butter, not shortening.

Thanks if you can help!

PS-I looked on allrecipes.com, too, but there are SO many banana bread recipes icon_confused.gif

34 replies
eme926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eme926 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 35

We had that one too...loved that book!!!

I did find one at a yard sale that was a year or so newer and I'll post the recipe that's in it. It's Betty's New and revised edition.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas (2 to 3 medium)

Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom only of loaf pan. Mix all ingredients, beat at 30 seconds. Pour into pans. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 65 to 70 minutes. Cool slightly, Loosen sides of loaf from pan, remove from poan. Cool completely before slicing...(yeah right)

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 35

I have that cookbook! It's my favorite.

2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons salad oil
3/4 cups milk
1 egg
1 cup finely chopped nuts
1 cup smashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)

Heat oven to 350, Grease and flour 9x5x3 inch loaf pan or two 8 1/2x4 1/2x 2 1/2 inch loaf pans. Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl: beat on medium speed 1/2 minute, scraping side and bottom of bowl constantly. Pour into pan(s). Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until wooden pick instered in center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool thoroughly before slicing.

Enjoy!

Bossy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 35

I have that cookbook! It's my favorite.

2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons salad oil
3/4 cups milk
1 egg
1 cup finely chopped nuts
1 cup smashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)

Heat oven to 350, Grease and flour 9x5x3 inch loaf pan or two 8 1/2x4 1/2x 2 1/2 inch loaf pans. Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl: beat on medium speed 1/2 minute, scraping side and bottom of bowl constantly. Pour into pan(s). Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until wooden pick instered in center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool thoroughly before slicing.

Enjoy!

cande Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 35

Thank you so much ladies!! I wish I could find my mom's copy! She wrote so many nice notes in it icon_cry.gif
Maybe I can at least find a replacement copy at a garage sale or on ebay...
Do either of you know the complete title, or the ISBN Number from the cookbook?

Thank you both so much for the recipe! I am going to go make it right now!!

cande Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 35

So...I just went to ebay and saw a bunch of them for sale (good thing most listings on ebay now have pictures on the main page!!).

I was pretty surprised how expensive most of them are though icon_surprised.gif
Oh well, I guess that's the price you have to pay for the memories... icon_biggrin.gif

Bossy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 35

My DH got mine for me on Ebay a couple years back after my first one just started to crumble from being used so much. I taped together the pages in that one as best I could and gave it to my son when he moved out!
The ISBN # 0-553-12979-1

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:08am
post #8 of 35

I still use the BC cookbook I got as a wedding gift in 1969. Before I left CA for Kansas at 17 i took several of my mother's recipes with me. One was for her wonderful banana bread. Only one time in all these, going on 39, years have I used another bb recipe. Silly me........

I have it figured out for 1 cup to about 6 cups of banana. I have a loaf in my frig now...lol. Ihope you find the book/recipe you're looking for. My family and I think I make the worlds best banana bread. It's great to know you are working with the best!! Ã

Good luck!
Carol

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:09am
post #9 of 35

The recipes posted are different...wich one is tyhe one for the book. The one with the 1/2 cup of sugar or the one with the 1 cup?
Edna

Bossy Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:30am
post #10 of 35

Hi Edna!

I double checked my book and it has 1 cup of regular sugar. My book the 1970 printing. Both recipes sound good!!! Hope that helps.

eme926 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:35am
post #11 of 35

Well, thanks to this thread,I wandered on over to Ebay and found me a copy of the older one for only $16-including shipping!!

Yeehaw....

Now, how to slip it in without hubby noticing???

cande Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #12 of 35

Thanks everyone! I went to ebay and bought one too, now I will have my own copy. The banana bread in there really is the best I have ever tasted thumbs_up.gif

Carol-I bet you regretted it all three times, too, didn't you? icon_wink.gif

Thank you for posting the recipes here here as well Bossy and Eme926!! I made a batch (using Bossy's recipe) and they are cooling right now. They are always best the next day, if we can wait that long icon_biggrin.gif Good thing it makes more than 1 loaf!

Now when my book comes in a few days I can look through it and find all of the other great recipes my mom used to make us growing up.

What are some of y'alls other favorite recipes from there? I fondly remember making several of the cake and cookie recipes at Christmas and Easter with my mom...and one time my mom tried the cheese fondue recipe to our delight!! She hated it, but all the rest of us loved it so on special occasions she would make it for us.

That book really brings back a lot of great memories...*sniff*
icon_biggrin.gif

eme926 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:34am
post #13 of 35

We always made the Tea Rings, and I made muffins every year when the blackberries were in season.

Pancakes, dumplings, waffles....etc.

OH!!!! And the peanut butter cookies!>!>!>!>! My dad brought home one of those electric cookie guns when I was about 12 or so, (30 years ago) and we ALWAYS made the pb cookies in the different shapes. Well, I was at a little thrift store the other day and found the EXACT same cookie press, in the box with all the discs and even the little book for $3!!!

I'm strolling down memory lane a little myself...*double sniff*

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossy

Hi Edna!

I double checked my book and it has 1 cup of regular sugar. My book the 1970 printing. Both recipes sound good!!! Hope that helps.

Thanks Bossy I am a big fan of banana cakes..I wanna try this one!
Edna thumbs_up.gif

Bossy Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #15 of 35

Everyone I cooked the Hungarian Goulash for loves it and I've never seen it in any other cookbook!

mzub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzub Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 8:52pm
post #16 of 35

I have that cookbook and use it ONLY for the banana nut bread recipe.  It's so easy and sooooo good. 

2 1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar

3 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

3 tablespoon vege oil

1/3 cup milk

1 egg

1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

1 tablespoon orange peel grated (optional)

2 to 3 bananas - the riper the better

Mix all ingredients.  Pour into greased bottom only loaf pan.  Bake 350 degrees 60 - 70 minutes.

Enjoy!

Babyluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babyluv Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 12:36am
post #17 of 35

AHey! I have that book home from my mom. :-)

Cherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherrin Posted 22 Apr 2013 , 9:47pm
post #18 of 35

Thanks for posting this recipe.  I have the original cookbook but my daughter "borrowed" the Banana Bread recipe and I never got it back!

carolscookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolscookie Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 1:12pm
post #19 of 35

THANK YOU!!! I have this cookbook, but recently moved and it is packed somewhere, this is the BEST recipe I have ever had, my daughter and I are cooking it now

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 1:15pm
post #20 of 35

I am making this right now :)

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 2:53pm
post #21 of 35

Ooh, that's so wild...I remember that cookbook from my childhood...my mom still has it!

Seems like you're covered as far the recipe, but if you want to try another really good banana bread recipe, the one on the back of a bag of Gold Medal flour is one of the best I've tried.  Here's a link to it online:

http://www.goldmedalflour.com/recipedetail.aspx?idrecipe=35305-1&idcat=3&cat=Quick Breads

Cakespirations Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 3:18pm
post #22 of 35

SSOOOOO Since I can never leave well enough alone. I changed the recipe. I had an entire box of singles from restaurant depot that i never got to use. I figured.. hmmmm great idea. This is what I did... BTW the recipe is doubled and changed. If I screw it up I like to do it big ;)

2 1/2 cups cake flour

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cup sugar
7 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons salad oil
1 1/2 cups milk
2 egg
2 cup almond meal
6 medium bananas
1 tablespoon of vanilla/butter emulsion

bananas, oil, and vanilla, into the mixer and mix till the bananas are incorporated. Add sugar to the banana mix and pulse till incorporated.  whisk the remaining dry ingredients into a bowl. Then add the two eggs one at a time into the mixer till just incorporated. add sifted dry into the mixer alternating with the milk and always start and end with the dry. fold the last addition in with a spatula. Let sit in the mixer for 10 minutes and rest. heat oven in this time to 350. I am making muffins with this. I will report back how many. :)

To add... the batter tastes like heaven

Cakespirations Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 5:22pm
post #23 of 35

kids and husband polished off a half dozen while they where still hot.

;)

yum

aliciaw51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaw51 Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 5:04pm
post #24 of 35

The banana nut bread recipe I need is posted in a Betty Crocker cookbook I received when I got married in 1972. It does not include salad oil or buttermilk instead it has shortening as an ingredient. It is quite simple but absolutely delicious! Can anyone help?  

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 6:11pm
post #25 of 35

You can order a copy of the 1972 version thru Amazon-  Order quickly because most of them are really high priced.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OL9WOK/?tag=cakecentral-20+crocker+cook+book+1972

aliciaw51 Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 7:55pm
post #26 of 35

Since my post, I realized my recipe was in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook not the Betty Crocker! Thanks anyway!

Eachna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eachna Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 4:21am
post #27 of 35

Did you find a copy of the recipe after realizing you were looking in the wrong cookbook? Any chance of pointing us towards it? :D

aliciaw51 Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 1:44pm
post #28 of 35

Better yet, I will send you the recipe. I baked it and it was as delicious as I remember it!

~~BEST BANANA NUT BREAD

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup shortening

• 1/2 cup sugar

• 2 eggs

• 2 T. milk

• 1 3/4 cups flour

• 2 tsp. baking powder

• 1/2 tsp. salt

• 1/4 tsp. baking soda

• 1 cup mashed ripe bananas

• 1 cup chopped walnuts 

Grease a regular size loaf pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream shortening and sugar together. Add eggs & milk and beat well. In separate bowl sift together dry ingredients. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture, alternately with banana, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts. Pour mixture in loaf pan. Bake about one hour until toothpick in middle comes out clean. Remove from oven, remove bread from pan and cool on rack.

lorioday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorioday Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 5:56pm
post #29 of 35

This recipe is good, but, it's not the same one...

LynnCass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynnCass Posted 28 Dec 2014 , 10:12pm
post #30 of 35

I CANT thank you enough for posting this!!  I have made this recipe for so long and to date is the BEST banana bread recipe out there.   The orginal is on a big ship somewhere in the Atlantic making its way back to me.   I lived in England but now am back home in California.  My brother wanted this for Xmas but as many times as ive made it I was not 100% sure of the amounts.  I LOVE YOU...this is the one (been searching for days now).  THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!  (no to butter or shortening makes the bread way to dense....this one is perfect!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%