Is It Satin Ice Or Me???

Decorating By Kathleen01 Updated 29 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm by DesignerCakes

Kathleen01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathleen01 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:07am
post #1 of 11

Basically, I have just started using Satin ice. Every time I cover a cake with it, it cracks! I tried not rolling it too thick, not using too much cornstarch, also tried not using too much shortening. Does anyone else have trouble with Satin ice?

What I really want to know is...what is the best store-bought fondant? And, any tips or tricks to prevent fondant from cracking.

Thanks!

~K

10 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:22am
post #2 of 11

Never use cornstarch, it dries the fondant. I only use cornstarch when making gumpaste flowers or fondant decs that need to dry. Use PS to roll when covering a cake.

I'm pretty sure the cornstarch is causing the problem. Good luck!

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:22am
post #3 of 11

Sorry I can't help you. I am an exclusive Satin Ice user. The only time I had a problem was when I rolled it too thin it tore and I had to start that cake over. Once in awhile I get a little superficial cracking, but I just rub some shortening over the cracks and they disappear.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:23am
post #4 of 11

When I first bought Satin Ice I had problems with it cracking. What works for me is rubbing shortening on my hands while I knead it and I knead it until it feels smooth. Then I roll it out to the thickness I want and use it.

Kathleen01 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #5 of 11

Nefgaby...this may be a silly question...but, is PS a type of shortening?

Thanks for the advise everyone!! It confirms my concerns...it is me and not Satin Ice icon_cry.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #6 of 11

Hi, sorry!! Nope, it is short for Powdered Sugar! icon_lol.gif

Kathleen01 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:46am
post #7 of 11

Oh...duh! icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:54am
post #8 of 11

ditto jo_ann. I also rub a thin film of veg shortening on my counter when I'm rolling it out.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:02am
post #9 of 11

Leahs,
Great point, I forgot to point that out. It makes a difference.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 4:48am
post #10 of 11

I like to use the blue ateco mat to roll out, flip whole thing onto cake, and peel off mat. the now top side is very moist and i never get cracks doing it this way.

cornstarch=crakcs for me evry time

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #11 of 11

I use Satin Ice almost daily. I roll it out on a large square Silpat mat that I purchased from Creative Cutters - best I've found so far. I started using the blue Ateco mat but found that this particular type of material attracts too much ambient dust and is harder to wipe clean than the silpat one. The silpat is perfectly square, too, which makes it easier to roll out larger pieces.

I lightly sprinkle some powdered sugar onto the mat. I knead the fondant with a little bit of shortening beforehand and make sure that it's soft and pliable before I roll it out. Never put powdered sugar or constarch on your fondant while rolling it out. It will dry it out even further. I roll out my fondant as quickly as possible and make sure the cake is ready for me to cover so there is no 'sitting' time. Satin Ice tends to dry out very quickly, at least in the Mid Atlantic area.

I just spent a few days in Miami and was rolling out Satin Ice to put on a cake that I was making in a friend's bakery there. The difference in the Satin Ice was mind boggling. Due to the higher humidity levels in south Florida, the same product behaves completely different. Instead of it being on the dry side, I found it to be very easy to work with, did not crack in the slightest, and had a lovely sheen once placed on the cake. In my area, its far drier and there is far less working time. I worked with it for quite some time as we made many different little decorations for several cakes, and it never dried out. In my area, it would have been very dry with plenty of 'elephant skin' within 15 minutes.

I have decided to try using a humidifier in my work kitchen to further test my theory that higher humidity makes Satin Ice perform far better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%