My Violet Mmf Faded To Baby Blue, How To Color?

Decorating By CakeItGood Updated 10 Aug 2005 , 4:52pm by bonnscakesAZ

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 4

The cake I just did over the weekend had MMF that I colored violet using Wilton's little jar of gel/paste. The next morning the fondant had faded to baby blue, the cake sat in the oven through the night. What can I do to keep fondant from fading out? Should I use a different brand of color, or a different fondant? I need to do a large violet/white/silver cake and will be preparing some of the decorations in advance. Really need a trustworthy light purple fondant ... any ideas?

Also, I need bright silver frosting for flower accents and beading work for borders. Should I use buttercream or royal? Have never worked with royal, but if it turns silver better than buttercream it's worth a shot!

Thank you!

3 replies
Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 4

It might be due to the fact that the cake was in the oven. I know you absoluletly can not do that with gumpaste, so I'd imagine fondant might be effected by it as well.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 4

I am hearing that the americolors are much better than the wilton ones, I had the same thing almost happen to me...I made a wedding cake and set it up one morning ( the wedding was that night) and my lavender roses were pale blue by the time the reception started! icon_cry.gif

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 4

I learned at the convention that powder colors do not fade. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%