Help With Crumb Coating

Decorating By Candes Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 12:55am by kakeladi

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 6

Do you chill your cake first? Freezer or fridge? For how long. Then after you crumb coat do you chill again and for how long?

I dredge up tooooo many crumbs most times. I'm probably not waiting long enough. icon_cry.gif

Are there any "tutorials" with pics? May be Youtube has something, hmm icon_confused.gif

5 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 6

Some thoughts...use a thinner (more liquid) icing for the crumb coat. It's ok to get crumbs in this layer -- actually, it is a way to stabilize the cake (Toba Garrett uses crumbs to fill in cakes). Chill, or let set up until you can touch it with a finger, and there is no stickiness.

If you are in a warm, humid location, taking it out of the refrigerator can cause moisture to condense on it, so it might make it sticky again. In that case, I'd suggest just letting it set-up at room temperature.

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 6

Have you tried the cake icer tip? It's all I use. I never get crumbs in my icing wince I started using it. I find the tip applies just the right amount of icing to be able to skim some off while smoothing, but it leaves enough on to have a nicely iced cake. Because the tip doesn't touch the cake, and the icing is already on the whole cake before you start to smooth with a spatula (thereby never touching cake with the spatula), there's no chance to get crumbs. I won't use anything else to apply my initial coating of icing.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 6

I've actually had weird things happen to me with the icer tip so I stopped using it. but tracey's right about it.
a couple things that I would recommend...
chill the cake if you are using a filling or icing with a lot of butter or cream that you need to harden. if you are using a crusting icing and a dense filling let it set up on the counter. (if you do put it in the frig, you need to let it condense and then dry)
when you are applying the finish coat make sure you are using a very soft icing. if the icing is stiff it doesn't seem to stick to the cake and pull it up. if your icing is really soft/thin it won't pull on the cake.

I had a lot of trouble with crumbs too. I remember my instuctor tell me this, but some how it didn't register until I made quite a few messy cakes.
icon_rolleyes.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 6

I thin a little of my frosting & paint on the crumb coat with a soft 1" paint brush, this works well for me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:55am
post #6 of 6

I have *never* chilled my cake either before or after crumbcoating!
You know what a glazed donut looks like - the glaze part? Your crumb coated cake should look like that.
To glaze crumbcoat: take about 1/3 cup of b'cream icing and Microwave it for about 5-10 seconds icon_smile.gif Yes, I said MW it - *just until it starts to melt* (turns liquid). NOTE: Watch carefully so you don't overheat it. Pour this over the cake and spread it *as thin and as quickly as you can* using your icing spatula. If your cake is large don't try to melt more than 1/3 cup at a time as it will cool and become unusable long before you can spread it on the cake.
Make sure you completely cover the cake. You will be able to tell if any spots are not covered w/glazeicon_smile.gif Once you have completely covered it just let it sit on the counter. Actually you could let such a glazed cake sit out as long as 3-5 days and it will not dry out - the glaze completely seals in all moistureicon_smile.gif
I was usually busy enough that by the time I had glazed all of my cake(s) it was dry enough (dry to the touch) so I could add my finish coat of icing - yes, it dries that fast!
Any melted icing *canNOT* be reused; it cannot be remelted - just throw it away. I have only done this w/a shortening/butter based B'cream. Don't know how it might work if using IMBC or SMBC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%