Would You Pay $5000 For This Cake?

Decorating By twinkletoe21 Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 2:33am by lardbutt

twinkletoe21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletoe21 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 28

okey my brother had just showed me suri cruise's 2nd birthday cake and OMG.. i swear other people here on CC can do a WAAYYYYY better job that this. i have personally bought and tried cakes from thesame store where they got their cake from (we used to buy cakes from there as gifts. this was before i started cake decorating) and honestly, i think their cakes were alright. Nothing special at all. But WOW.. cake looks so simple and... i dont know. its just me i guess. i wouldnt pay $5000 or it thou..
here are the pictures:...
LL
LL

27 replies
KaraCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraCakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 28

NO WAY! How does anyone thind that THAT cake is worth that kind of money?! Is it filled with gold or diamonds?! Did you really hear that they paid that much for it?

twinkletoe21 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 28

seriously right? thats what i would think too.. it would have some kind of gold or diamonds in it but noooo.. lol.. yea its all over the net... i thought it was just a typo.. maybe $500 or so but DAMN! $5000? WOW!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 28

Next to the guy the cake doesn't look that big, yeah over priced

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 28

I think it's a cute, simple cake. Not one that I would chose for myself or anyone I know...but still cute with clean work. But 5 grand? Are they smoking their parchment?

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 28

Although I agree that the design is simple and the price is way inflated, allow me to can play devil's advocate for a second:

Consider the area and the market. I bet everything is overpriced in LA.

Given the celebrity status, the order was probably last minute and custom and under a cloak of secrecy until after the party. I'd charge out the wazoo too LOL

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 28

$5000? Overpriced by a longshot. $500? Possibly. But maybe for $5000 you get a bonus facial hair or two! Seriously, the poor guy looks like he's either sneaking a quick taste, or it's heavy and it's now leaning on his chin. icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 28

Well it wasn't the only cake they had.. there was also a personalized cake for every guest as well (24 of them I think).

This is from another post about the cake

Homecook said:

"Actually, just doing some quick math...this *could* make sense.

If that is a 4, 6, 8, 10 cake, serving, say, 80 wedding size pieces, and guessing @$9.00 a serving, that's $720.00. Add $230 for the cupcakes. And 24 guests, if they each took home an 8" individualized cake with 24 servings at about $7.00/serving each, for $4032 in guest cakes...that's

720 + 230+ 4032 = $4982.00

Zowie. Not unreasonable, just very, very generous...if that's how it worked. "

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 28

I don't think I'd pay anything since it looks like his chin is in it lmfao.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:56pm
post #10 of 28

As jkalman said, the $5K wasn't for that one cake. It was for that cake and 24 other cakes. And yes, if someone - anyone - will pay $5K then it is worth it. To both the buyer and the seller.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 28

If cake artist can get $5000 for a cake good for them. It's good to know they are some people out there that don't balk at the price of a cake. I see so many thread on this site where people are going on about customers asking for Wal-mart prices and people getting upset over about it. Yet when a cake artist can demand and get a large amount of money for a cake it's an outrage. Just my two cents.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:02am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

If cake artist can get $5000 for a cake good for them. It's good to know they are some people out there that don't balk at the price of a cake. I see so many thread on this site where people are going on about customers asking for Wal-mart prices and people getting upset over about it. Yet when a cake artist can demand and get a large amount of money for a cake it's an outrage. Just my two cents.

I agree, people constantly winch and moan about not being able to get premium prices and when someone does, and by the way as already posted it wasn't JUST for that cake, it was for a bunch of things, people want to waggle their chins about the outrageous price.

The only thing I have to say about that is, darn it, why didn't they have me do the cake! I sure could use that money. lol

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:06am
post #13 of 28

if i knew i were doing a cake for Suri Cruise, i would charge as much as they were willing to pay! i would first ask, "how much do are you willing to spend?". Then they get what they get! No, just kidding, but hey, they have the money, so i say charge them, let them spread the wealth

twinkletoe21 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:09am
post #14 of 28

hhahahha.. i didnt mean to winch and moan about the price.. i was just uhmm.. "surprised".. heheheh..

oh and the cupcakes arent included in the $5000 because they ordered it separately from sprinkles.. i think only the cake and the 24 other mini cakes from sweetladyjane. =)

yea in L.A almost EVERYTHING is overpriced! hehehe

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:14am
post #15 of 28

Tom Cruise paid for it. He is rich, he can afford it.. so what is the problem ? Why can't rich people spend their hard earned money without being thrown stones at ? Don't worry, worth or not , you did not pay for it .. Suri is Tom Cruise daughter, not by someone on Walfare ..

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:16am
post #16 of 28

I've seen the other thread about this cake. There were 24 more cakes and cupcakes too. They were from the Sweet Lady Jane bakery (except for the cupcakes). I check out their website, beacuse I read an article about the owner lady (who is like you and I) probably a year ago and I was impressed. She's a selftaught baker and they bake from scratch. They have a ton of different flavored cakes on their menu. It's worth a look. I wouldn't be surprised about the serving price. If you use high quality of ingredients (chocolate, cocoa, liqueur etc) your costs will go up higher too. Besides she's in a good area. icon_lol.gif

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:17am
post #17 of 28

you really needto look at waht 5000 is to tom cruise..seriously. I saw one picture where suri is wearing a $700 jacket. The man is loaded, to him it was like paying $5. He probably forget how much it was next week. I certainly wish I made the cake, I could use grand right now

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #18 of 28

I would have charged him 5 G's for all that cake, too.

I hope he asks me to do the next one.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:36am
post #19 of 28

Ah come on people!!! She's 2 for goodness sakes!!! This is silly for anyone...even a celeb!

Quote:
Quote:

Given the celebrity status, the order was probably last minute and custom and under a cloak of secrecy until after the party

Ok let's look at the pic shall we? How secret can it be if someone got this shot? And look where this guy is?? Some alley...notice the dumpster and the empty produce cretes on either side of him....gross! And one more thing...isn't there a law about handling food and hair somewhere?? Eww.....that's enough to make me gag right there.

These silly people and their wasteful spending......just silly. Cute little cake though... icon_rolleyes.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:42am
post #20 of 28

The man's face carrying it is behind the cake, NOT on the cake... Look at it closely. ONCE again, that is Tom Cruise daughter and not by some Welfare recipient or homeless person... make sense of not, it's their life, it's their business .. icon_cool.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:53am
post #21 of 28

what is something worth?

Whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:55am
post #22 of 28

How did someone get the shot? In a word..paparazzi. Most of us don't get shown the front door when we're delivering. I've stood next to many a dumpster at the service entrance waiting for a porter to bring me a cart to deliver a wedding cake.

In any event, filthy rich or dirt poor, 2 or 102, people can spend their money any way they see fit. If I thought for a minute I could charge $5000 and get it, I'd do it. I don't care who the recipient is, as long as the check clears.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:56am
post #23 of 28

Nice simple cake but I wouldn't pay $5000 for it. LOL must be trimmed in real gold someplace is all I can figure.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:58am
post #24 of 28

fondantgrl, I did look at it closely. I'm sure his face is not actually in the cake for goodness sakes. I was joking. icon_lol.gif Sometimes photography creates something for what it's not. It just looks that way. I personally am not in any way criticizing the Cruise family. They should feel free to spend their money on any cake that makes them happy. thumbs_up.gif

My point, before I knew that several other cakes were on the tab, was that $5k for a single cake is way out there.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #25 of 28

Have money will spend. You're right to Tom Cruise that is just a drop in the bucket.

Maybe the man is loading the cake for delivery ..... though some of the back entrances to some fancy smancy places are really bad.

I had to deliver to a fancy hotel in San Francisco and the made me use the service delivery elevator......down under ground, through in the basement and then up the service elevator to the 8th floor. Not a pretty sight!!!!!!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #26 of 28

I just saw this cake today in US Weekly, and thought the sme thing! I even thought about posting it, too! I wouldn't have saved it to my favorites if someone on this site had made it-it really isn't that special!

Edited to add: The top tier doesn't even look straight to me.

cindy1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1960 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:24am
post #27 of 28

I think also that it was his money so let him spend it on his kids. He has more that one remember. I just wish I could give him another one!!!OPPS! Anyway, I am just glad that the cake did not slide with that man tilting it like that. What a disaster that would have been, although, being called there to fix it at Tom's house? HMMMM! thumbs_up.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:33am
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

what is something worth?

Whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

Debi....I sware to you I KNEW this EXACT statement was coming! That is the ONLY reason I even read on to the second page! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%