Rich's Bettercream And Fondant...do They Mix?

Decorating By Fahina Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm by Rajinder

Fahina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fahina Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 17

I was wondering if I can use Rich's Bettercream as my buttercream and then lay my fondant on the cake. Will this stick as as my "glue"? Or will the bettercream ruin the fondant? Also, I have an order for a cake due next week and the customer was asking if I could use ALL bettercream instead of buttercream. Please help!!!!!!!

16 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 17

Nope. You can use fondant accents on Rich's but you can't use Rich's as the 'buttercream'.

The moisture in Rich's Bettercreme doesn't work well fondant.

Did they ask for fondant? If she did, I would absolutely call her and explain that the Rich's/fondant combo is not possible.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 17

I don't think that would be a problem, but I've never tried this myself. Hopefully someone can give you better advice regarding the fondant. As far as an all bettercream cake, YUM! I've done that and it's always a big hit! I just wish I could purchase rich's bc in my town, but the grocery store where I use to buy it is no longer alowed to sell it to the public. icon_sad.gif

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 17

No - you cannot use Rich's as the layer of icing under the fondant. It will "melt" the fondant. You could use Rich's as a filling, but you would still need to frost the cake (and use a good dam between layers) with "real" buttercream.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 17

Actually for my wilton 3 class final cake I did use Rich's underneath the fondant because I didn't feel like whipping up a batch of regular buttercream and it held up fine for me..even cut into it and there was no melting or anything, and this was even the day after. Anyways just wanted to share my experience with doing that, hope I could help.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 17

I just had a post on this a week or so ago. I used the Rich's under fondant and I used the Rich's with fondant appliques and both worked just fine.

Debbie

ccr03 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 17

Wow!! You learn something new everyday!!!

I was certain it was a no!

Looks like my family is in for another taste testing!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 17

I didn't think it would work either but it did! icon_surprised.gif)

Debbie

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 17

you can order bettercream form sam's club online

ccr03 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 17

mcook1670,
How?

I can't even find it on SAm's Club's Web site, much less see where I can order it.

Fahina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fahina Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 17

I know! I was sh icon_surprised.gif cked too when I found out about Sam's. I buy mine here in Utah at $27.00 for a 28lb. bucket. What a deal for me right now! I love it!!!!! HTH! And thank you to all who have helped me with this...I may just stick to the buttercream due to fear....but will try this on my family this weekend... thumbs_up.gif ! THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 17

I finally found Bettercreme, and thought you couldn't use it with fondant, but after reading this, I will have to try it!!!!! Thanks!!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:03pm
post #13 of 17

I'll disagree with some of what's been said here.

If you are using the quart containers of Bettercreme that you whip up yourself, odds are that if you cover it with fondant AND you have a moist cake, you will be left with an unhappy mess after it sits for awhile. The moisture in the Bettercreme + the moist cake + the weight of the fondant will make for a goopy, mushy results. Actually, any whipped cream icing will give you the same poor results under fondant (unless it's very overwhipped.......and that's another story).

If you are using the pre-made bucket of Sam's club icing, it's not the same as the Bettercreme that you whip yourself--it has less moisture and air in it and it can handle fondant a bit better.

HTH
Rae

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 17

I thought that Rich's Bettercreme and Sam's Buttercream were two different products completely.

I use Rich's Bettercreme as a filling and would never put in under fondant. It is great as a filling with a proper dam. Sam's Buttercream on the other hand can be used under fondant as stated by BlakesCakes and you can also use Sam's Buttercream as a filling.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:41am
post #15 of 17

For what it's worth, I iced a cake in Rich's Whip-n-Ice (like Bettercreme but can't stay out of the fridge as long...but yes it's the frozen, whip-it-yourself kind) and after chilling it firm, I put a thin layer of IMBC over the Rich's to create a moisture barrier before completely covering the cake in fondant. Worked perfectly; the cake lasted for days and days.

It may not be the same as a purely Rich's iced cake but IMBC is light and mild enough, the flavors complemented each other and the fondant fared just fine.

Just a thought, for those who are afraid to risk it with fondant straight on the whippable Bettercreme.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:17am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

I thought that Rich's Bettercreme and Sam's Buttercream were two different products completely.

Yes, my Sam's Club sells the prewhipped Rich's Bettercreme and Dawn's But-R-Creme in buckets and they're two different types of frosting (whipped and American b/c style).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcook1670

you can order bettercream form sam's club online

I just tried searching Sam's online for Bettercreme, bettercream and Rich's with negative results. Do you use an item number, and would you mind sharing it with the rest of us?

Rajinder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rajinder Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #17 of 17

Smart and final has bettercream in the frozen section

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%